Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Having cupcake tower - questions?

I would like to do a cupcake tower cake with a small cake on top for us to freeze for our 1 year.  

Do we get another smaller cake to cut at the reception?  Can we cut a cupcake?

Also having trouble finding pictures of what I like - any websites I can check out?  I think b/c I am having an intimate wedding (35 people) that all the pictures are for 150-200 so I am having trouble imagining what it would look like smaller.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Having cupcake tower - questions?

• Options
    edited December 2011
     I would feed each other cupcakes simultaneously....don't bother with another cake!  The feeding, not the cutting, is the fun part!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're concerned about the smaller cake to cut/save - go to Waglreens, buy the "perfect cupcake" it's a giant cupcake mold that you bake your cake in.

Depending on who bakes your cake of course, i'm sure this would be fine and you just decorate it up like your other smaller cupcakes.
  • Options
    vexievexie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing this too.  The lady who is making our cupcakes is making a small topper cake that we can ceremoniously cut for pictures, but we won't serve. Everyone gets a cupcake to take home with them.  Ours will look something like these:

btw... as for the number....  you can rent cupcake stands in many different sizes and styles so you'd be able to find one that only fits 35'ish.  Though... people might enjoy the opportunity to have more than 1 if they're really good :)
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • Options
    bltatabltata member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Places like Hobby Lobby and Michaels often sell DIY Cupcake Stands, or you could even get creative and buy some platters and candlesticks and glue them together yourself.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we found our cupcake stand online for only $42!  also, we are going to cut a cupcake, we didn't want to order another small cake to cut either.  our baker told us that this is what most couples are doing...hope this helps Cool
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
    181 image
    Invited to the Celebration of the Year
    109 Yes image
    50 Missing Out! image
    22 Not Responded Yet image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the other post about feeding each other the cupcake instead of "cutting the cake"....Also, if you want to make it look more full why not do mini cupcakes and do 2-3 per person?  The tower will be filled with them and you could do a few different flavors.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    pinkglitz18pinkglitz18 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I too once loved the idea of cupcakes, but I wanted to share something with my cupcake brides. I was recently at 2 weddings which had cupcakes versus a cake. While the bride and groom were dancing, during and after dinner (b4 the formal cake cutting) people were enjoying cupcakes..so when the bride and groom "cut the cake" half the tower was already gone!! I dont know if you care about that kind of thing, or youre more relaxed, but I was upset for the bride.....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards