Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Catering Question...HELP!

I'm sending out 200 invitations and am accounting for 150 people to show up.  Do I tell my caterer to cook for 150 ppl?  I was told that most caterers cook more than is needed so to tell them a lower number such as 130 heads.  Is this true?  Someone just told me the exact opposite (buy more than what your expecting) and how I'm super confused!

Your help is GREATLY appreciated!

Re: Catering Question...HELP!

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Tell the caterer now that you sending out 200 invitations.  They should give you a date they need the final numbers (normally a week or so out from the event).  The final number should be the number of yes responses.  I would not risk lowering the number and end up running out of food.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited December 2011
    Always plan for 100% attendance, you never know what may happen.  As PP mentioned, they should require a final count a few days before the event.  At that time give them the exact number that plan to attend. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto PP. They shouldn't need an exact number till a week or so before the wedding. They probably need a rough estimate now so they can start purchasing the larger quantity items that they can stock up on. The final count is so the real amount of food can be prepared.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • leogirl13leogirl13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you sent 200 invatations tell them you sent out 200. Most companies do not require the final number until 1 to 2 weeks before your wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto previous posters. You don't want to give a low count-- you'll run out of meals if it's plated and will run into trouble with a buffet as well because people often take seconds or just take more than they actually eat.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards