Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Vegetarian brides!

2»

Re: Vegetarian brides!

• Options
    I have been vegan since 2008. My first wedding was in 2009 and it was completely vegan. We chose a cake from a bakery that doesn't usually make wedding cakes but makes great vegan cakes. They had a cake stand we used to make it look multi-tiered, since they didn't do true multi-tiered cakes. It wasn't super decorative but it was completely delicious and we got a lot of great comments about it.

For the rest of the food, instead of going with a normal catering service, we chose a local vegan chef who was willing to give wedding catering a try. The food was wonderful and my mom ended up hiring the same chef to cater for my sister's graduation party even though none of the rest of my family are vegan.

Before settling on our caterer we talked to some that were not exclusively vegan and some of them were snippy with us, saying things that were clearly not true, like if we wanted vegan sushi that was ok but brown rice sushi is impossible. If your caterer is weirdly unaccommodating about certain things, don't think twice about firing them and finding someone more respectful to work with.
    "I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"
  • Options

I am the only vegan in my family and this is my concern too. I am planning to eat too.

• Options
    I was a vegetarian bride and had a few vegetarian and vegan guests in a small town in northeastern PA.  When I was looking at venues, I specified immediately that they would have to accommodate both vegetarian & vegan.  There were a few venues who specified that it was not possible. But most were capable of meeting my needs.  My wedding had a planned guest list of 120 and a $9000 budget (which included everything for the wedding- I didn't exclude my gown, bridesmaids gifts, postage, etc).  We ended up with 90 guests and under budget at $7500 and fabulous food!
    Here was our menu:
    Hors D'Oeuvres- fresh fruit and vegetable platters, a mashed potato station (regular and sweet [made to vegan standards] with every topping available in the world to put on them- my guests were in 7th Heaven with this station), almond stuffed dates wrapped in bacon (another huge hit), mini vegetarian egg rolls (again-everyone loved these little gems), and 4 different styles of mini quiche (2 contained meat, 1contained seafood, 1 was vegetarian).
    Our dinner menu consisted of a first course salad, followed by a buffet of 3 options-
    Beef Medallions & Bourbon Mustard Sauce
    Crab Cakes with Old Bay Bechemel Sauce
    Roasted Bell Peppers stuffed with bulgur, artichoke, olive and toasted pine nuts (this was so good I had seconds)
    accompanied by lemon thyme rice and cider glazed carrots (all excluded anything that would make them unfriendly to vegans)

My MIL, Sister and niece are all pastry chefs so they supplied the dessert table (which overflowed- even with Vegan friendly dessert!).  My sister made cake centerpieces for my tables- so we had an abundance of sweet treats that the caterer did not supply which saved us a bundle.

But as you can see, even in a small town in NEPA, you can get a selection of foods that meet many dietary restrictions.  And all the foodies who attended my wedding loved the food to the point where the chef was asked for almost every single recipe. 
    It's possible- keep your spirits up and keep looking!  Smile
    There are talented chefs out there at great venues who won't break your budget.
    "Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death...Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.? Albert Einstein
  • Options
    I'm a vegan bride and all of the places that I'm going has offered to come up with a compeltely vegan menu. Since my fiance is a hunter we didn't find this necessasry. Our venue has offered us a vegan cake option, vegan muffins and dressings (we're doing a brunch), etc. Our vegetarian option is allowed to be customized, as well. You'll find the right place :)

Vermont catering services (dish, let's pretend) do vegan/vege events all the time. I highly suggest their food!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards