Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Where to find liquor/liqueur-filled chocolates?

I hope this doesn't seem like a silly question, but I don't drink (I can get loopy offa NyQuil), so have no idea where to start looking?  Do they come individually wrapped?

Here's the background:
I have several volunteers that I want to give thank you gifts after the wedding.  One is our wedding coordinator, who is amazing but doesn't charge (she considers it part of her ministry at the church), another is a soloist, etc. 

I have a friend who makes and sells de-li-cious truffles, and knowing that both of these people (and their spouses) enjoy fancy liquor, I asked about the possibility of ordering boozy truffles from her for them.  She's never done them that way, and is leery of messing with her recipe (which I understand), but suggested that I get some of the above-mentioned chocolates and put them in with the truffles.  Another option would be to give truffles and a split of champagne.

So question 1 is:  what am I looking for with the chocolates and where?
Question 2:  is champagne and truffles and liqueur-filled chocolates too much?  Would the different types of alcohol "clash"?

I'm thinking of adding in a nice foot lotion and maybe a pair of fuzzy socks for the wedding coordinator.

Thanks!

Re: Where to find liquor/liqueur-filled chocolates?

• edited March 2013
    I like the idea of giving a bottle of booze (wine, champagne, liquor) with the homemade trufffles.  
    ETA: I always see Bailey's, etc. filled chocolates at Marshall's/TJ Maxx type stores.  They also have them at duty free, if you have any trips coming up.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    They do come individually wrapped b/c I got some with Baileys and some with Jose Cuervo in a Christmas gift basket a couple years ago. They were so amazing. I have no idea where they came from, though!  I don't think I would do liquor AND those, though. Plain ones and then a bottle of liquor would be better if you were doing 2 things. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thank you for the replies!  If I do a bottle with the truffles, is there any kind of liquor that doesn't go well with chocolate?  For wine:  red, white or does it matter? 

Although there's something about "champagne and truffles" that just sounds so luxurious ... I'll have to see what I can find.

Thanks again for the help ... I have no experience with alcohol other than cooking.
  • I usually think of red wine with chocolate.  You could go to a liquor or wine store and get some suggestions.  Port, typically a dessert wine, is paired with chocolate often.  
  • I a not a fan of alcohol filled-chocolate.  There are truffles where alcohol has been added to the chocolate that taste much better.    Champagne and alcoholic truffles seems like overkill to me and different types of alcohol do clash.  The PP's suggestion of truffles with a nice red wine seems best to me. 
  • Many liquor stores will carry them regardless of time of year, but they are most popular during the Christmas season.  Check out Binney's or other liquor stores.  I often purchase the VSC brand....

I found a fantastic deal through Costco one year, but they do not always repeat their product choices.

This is the best price I have seen online...
  • Thank you for all the feedback.  I think we'll do truffles with a bottle (wine, champagne -- whatever that person/couple would like)  or the liquor-filled ones ... that way we'll have some variation in the gifts and can customize them a bit to the recipients.

I really appreciate the help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards