Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Seated vs. Stations

We're trying to plan our wedding menu and are at a crossroads of a seated dinner vs. stations. With our caterer, there is no cost difference between the two. I like the idea of stations because then there is more variety and it makes the atmosphere a little more casual. With seated, however, the dinner time wouldn't be as long and people wouldn't have to get up to get their food. What do you think?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 145 Invited so far! image 84 Will be there!
image 52 Will be square image 9 Are undecided

Re: Seated vs. Stations

• Cass987Cass987 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote dinner stations because that way people can choose their meat, veggie, etc - some people (like me) don't like the veggie/starch people thinks should go with a certain meat. For instance - if someone served me a chicken breast with rice - the rice would be 100% totally wasted because rice hurts my stomach to eat whereas I LOVE potatoes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Ceremony Location - Scottish Castle

,p> save the date
  • edited December 2011
    I vote for stations. I like that guests can easily skip the things they don't want and that there will more than likely be a bigger selection for them to choose from.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• edited December 2011
    I am having a station wedding. I think the main thing to try to remember is that a station wedding should not be treated like a buffet. Stations should be fun, interactive and themed. I think seated dinners are a thing of the past, most people are opting for elaborate cocktail style parties but with the formality of a dinner- meaning the food is just as fancy and expensive, but it's served in smaller, tapas portions that could be eaten while standing.
    If you plan to call up tables to get their food, have old-school food like carving stations, etc... then I reccomend doing the sit-down dinner.
    Maybe it's just me... but buffets really irk me- they just seem really cheap. I say do stations, but do them right.

As an example, I am doing things like black angus beef sliders served with sweet potato fries, a fancy ketchup and mini chocolate cherry milkshakes and butternut squash soup served in miniture pumpkins, and lobster mac in cheese served in a martini glass. These will all be at my "New American" station. I will also have a sushi/Asian station and an Italian station. We are serving our food in things like mini bamboo steamers, individual bento boxes, kraft bags, newspaper cones, mini mason jars, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    I think it depends on two things your guests and your flow. Walking around with food can be problematic for some older guests, but a buffet (let's not get into the semantics of stations vs buffet - you're still getting up and choosing your food no matter what kind of packaging it comes in) does allow for choice, which is a great way of dealing with picky eaters.

A strike against buffets (aside from carrying your food around) is it means your guests will be getting up and down, so if you have any speeches planned for the dinner hour, this can be a logistical challenge.
  • edited December 2011
    I like seated dinners but if you want a more casual feel.. then stations seem perfect for you.  They offer variety and allow your guests to move around.

I would only caution you against this if you guest list had a lot of elderly people who would struggle to get around.  If it is just a few older/handicapped guests- you can arrange for a server to assist them.  The other thing about guests is the size of your wedding (stations may be harder for very large weddings)

Also- make sure your venue has the space to allow stations!  You don't want it getting cramped or the lines brushing right up to people sitting and eating.

If everything works out- then go with the stations.  I suggest you have a menu at each plate that lists each station and what guests can find there.
  • ZeetaZeeta member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We decided to go with seated because: 1) its a large wedding - 300 people - and I did not want some guests to be finished while others have not even filled their plate yet and 2) because we are including children, the less walking around with food the better.

However, we are having appetizer stations during the cocktail hour.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ditto the above comment about space.  My reception site said that the buffet would use up the space of the lounge area and/or take the space of 2-3 tables. 

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did stations and it worked fine.  Seated dinners can take a long time because they wait for most people to finish to bring each course.  We liked the feeling of people moving and mingling at their own pace better.  Our elderly guests were served by our venue as were we so that was really nice.  And our stations were in a different room separate from the ballroom.  In the right setting, stations work really well.
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing stations because every wedding we've been at that has a seated dinner we're always starving afterwards and FI makes u hit up the drive thru on the way home. The portions tend to be smaller and you get no variety. We love going to weddings with stations because there's a lot of variety and we can get more if we're still hungry or really loved something.
  • felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would totally do stations!  it is interactive and fun!  I think they are still a new enough concept that not everyone will have been to a wedding with stations, where as who has not been to a wedding with a sit down dinner?  It is exciting, allows people to mingle, and get food at their own pace.  It makes sure picky eaters or those with allergies can get foods that they enjoy and can eat, and does not get you stuck at a table with total strangers forced to make small talk all night long!  I hate that!  If your place does both for the same price, I totally say stations!!!
  • NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think stations and buffets are great.  As a guest, I would rather have either over a seated dinner.  Some people may think they are tacky, but every seated dinner that I have had has been the same terrible dry chicken.  Buffet/station foods are warmer, allow you to chose your own food, and allow you to have more food.  Win win for me!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards