Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Only beer and wine reception....

Do I NEED to hire or assign a bartender?

My FMIL suggested it, but I dont see the reason.  I will have chilled beer and wine is a designated area as well as on the tables for numbers and to drink.

Thank you fellow knotties!
Cooking my way to happiness!

Re: Only beer and wine reception....

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are only having beer & wine, but also hired a bartender (our DJ supplies one, believe it or not!). The reason this is important is two fold: 1), you don't want minors drinking and a bartender can watch for that and 2), they can watch in case anyone has over imbibed and make sure they are not served.

If the cost is too much, look for a local college student, or "friend of a friend" who is invited,  who will take $20 an hour to do this, making sure they are over 21 and have black pants and a white shirt to wear.

You also might want to look into local ordinances. There may be some that specify this for a certain number of guests.

Good luck.
  • katheriner89katheriner89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have tons of friends of friends that work at a local mexican restraunt. That's who is bartending our wedding- a bartender from the restraunt. wayy cheaper but still nice. no one but some of my friends will even know we didn't go through a business to hire him.

So with that said, I'd look into local restraunts. Ask around and see what most ppl are paying bartenders in your area & make an offer to some people. I'm sure someone will take you up on the offer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_only-beer-wine-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:b7c1d898-5443-4101-aa67-6677c721b7b3Post:51a321a1-dd99-435d-a542-f9f2034ea383">Re: Only beer and wine reception....</a>:
    [QUOTE]1), you don't want minors drinking and a bartender can watch for that and 2), they can watch in case anyone has over imbibed and make sure they are not served. Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I thought!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    To take it one step further, take a look at your state/provincial laws in regards to party hosts and drinking and driving. Here in Ontario, hosts of a party (even something as basic as a dinner party) are partially liable if their guests drink and drive and cause an accident. So, definitely hire someone to tend bar and make sure they have liability insurance to cover your butt. You definitely don't want to have to worry about that.
  • kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our venue requires certified bartenders & liability insurance (from us).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Our venue requires a bartender, if any alcoholic beverages will be served. If you didnt would everyone just get themselves drinks?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Many venues require that you at least have someone designated to watch the alcohol for the reasons pps listed. It is often a legal thing. 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Like PP have said, it would be beneficial for you to have one for many reasons, and also may be required!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards