Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Ice Cream!!

I originally wanted to do a candy buffet, but we recently decided on an ice cream bar.  Has anyone else done this?  How did it work; was it really messy?  Did you have an ice cream shop cater it or DIY?
me and my two men image

Re: Ice Cream!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Neat idea! FI and I are actually doing an entire ice cream cake for our wedding cake from Coldstone! It's going to be great.

I would say having it catered would be better than DIY because you will want someone one there to disk it up so your guest don't get ice cream all over them. But if you did DIY it, you might be able to get your venue or DOC to do the ice cream serving.

It would be totally cute to have all kinds of toppings in vases like sprinkles, orea pieces, gummy worms.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiancee and I really want to have an ice cream bar, as well. I think it's such a cute idea. Our reception hall actually puts it all together, so maybe you can talk to yours and see if they will do the same.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As long as you have the ice cream chilled throughout its duration on the bar, I think it's a great idea.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing this as well, and having it served about 2 hours before the end of the reception, as a "pick-me-up/snack" thing.

Our venue has a "caterers kitchen" for keeping things hot or cold, but not for cooking. The caterer will supply everything, and put it out. We are going to probably have vanilla and chocolate ice cream, chocolate and strawberry sauces, and multiple toppings and whipped cream cans. The large containers of ice cream that Baskin Robbins or other ice cream stores hold will stay cold for over an hour if frozen solid when presented.

When planning this, see if your caterer (if that's your decision) will allow you to reduce the number of "servings" they provide, to help reduce costs. I know for a fact that everyone at the reception will not eat a sundae, so we are asking to have enough for roughly 30-50% of the guests, on a "per person" billing/fee.  

Good luck, we obviously love the idea!
  • Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just saw this for the first time at my friends wedding this summer.  I thought it was such a cute idea but then I realized why I had never seen it before.  The ice cream was really soft, and as soon as you put a syrup on top it started melting and dripping everywhere.  They had someone serving it for you, and you put your own toppings on.  Plus we were drinking and ice cream and drinks don't mix well.  I heard many people saying it was cute but a waste of money.

So from my experience, I would make sure its done right by keeping the ice cream in a freezer or on ice, and in bigger dishes to avoid spills.  Just wanted to give you that heads up.  Good luck.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards