Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

What's a Groom's Cake? What's the Point?

Does he get it before the wedding? I don't know what it's for, haha. But, my FI loves cake and I don't want to not have his cake if it's important :)

Re: What's a Groom's Cake? What's the Point?

• edited December 2011
    It's definitely optional. Traditionally, the wedding cake is the bride's cake, so this was a way for the groom to have his personality shown in the wedding as well. Lots of people get them in crazy designs, but our's was just a sheet cake with H's alma mater logo on it. It was also carrot cake, which I detest and did not want anywhere near the wedding cake. The groom's cake was set out next to the wedding cake on it's own table. Lots of people have them for the rehearsal dinner though so they don't have 2 cakes at the wedding.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

It is something special for the groom. I am surprising him with a Cleveland Browns Stadium cake. We are having it for the rehersal dinner!!! It is optional though. Just something different for the guy since your cake is  for the wedding!

• edited December 2011

It seems to me to be a southern tradition that's made its way north. It's resoundingly optional (but then, so are most things).

http://weddings.weddingchannel.com/wedding-planning-ideas/wedding-cake/qa/what-is-a-grooms-cake-do-you-need-one.aspx

• edited December 2011
    I'm hoping we can afford one to serve at the rehearsal dinner.  It'll be in the shape of Darth Vader's head, since FI is a huge Star Wars geek.
  • edited December 2011
    I am also thinking of having one at the rehearsal dinner... and also Star Wars related. I was thinking of trying to get the Death Star. FI would love it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • JCM10JCM10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All the weddings I've been to (all in TX) have the grooms cake displayed near the wedding cake at the reception. It is something representative of the groom...I've seen university seals, stadiums, and even Mario (and the DJ played mario music as he cut it, it was great!) A lot of people surprise the groom with the cake, but all my friends have let the groom pick it...after all, it's his! We're doing one, probably with an old version of our university's logo on it (we met in a campus history organization). The groom's cake is usually cut right after the wedding cake and served. Also, it's often chocolate, or german chocolate...or any flavor you want it to be. That way, guests have a choice of which cake to eat, depending on their tastes. I've also been to one wedding where they served a small piece of each cake onto the plate. 
  • edited December 2011
    FI loves black forest cake, and I hate it.  I am thinking of getting him black forest cake for the rehearsal dinner.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Love 06/2005 | Marriage 05/28/2011 | Baby! Peanut born on his due date, 9/30/12 Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also surprising FI with a groom's cake at the rehearsal dinner.  I'm thinking having one that looks like the UFC octagon.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • LisaLPharmDLisaLPharmD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm doing the groom's cake at the rehearsal dinner.  It's going to be shaped like a pint of Guinness

Wedding Countdown Ticker

230image 205image 22image 3image
  • edited December 2011
    We are thinking of doing cupcakes all the way around (except for the tier of the cake for us) and the groom's "cake" will be German chocolate cupcakes.  He loves German chocolate (not a favorite of mine), but it will make him happy.  Also, it does give a choice for the guests.
    Anniversary
  • JCM10JCM10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Weird to hear people 'surprising' their grooms with cakes...around here the grooms cake is the one thing the groom has absolute control over!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm from the east coast and around here, the groom's cake is not popular. In fact, I haven't been to one wedding where they had one (and I've been to many).  I mentioned it to my FI and he thought it was the most ridiculous thing he's ever heard of and made sure I knew he'd be disappointed if I "wasted money" on it for him. Interesting how traditions vary from region to region!
  • edited December 2011
    It is interesting. I am from NY and basically it seems that some people do them for rehearsal dinners so I decided to do one for my DH.  I got a nice sheet cake that said #1 Coach, #1 Fan, #1 Husband and I had all kinds of sports stuff on there and NY Giants Emblem.  It cost me about 60 bucks.  However, other people around here have gotten grooms cakes that are in the shape of stadiums, golf balls, etc, and they are like almost 500 dollars....which is frigin crazy!!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_whats-grooms-cake-whats-point?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:c75a3495-3625-4d56-8c52-6a9ccd149447Post:14d051fd-a5fb-4e70-a8e2-671e66948c3f">Re: What's a Groom's Cake? What's the Point?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Weird to hear people 'surprising' their grooms with cakes...around here the grooms cake is the one thing the groom has absolute control over!
    Posted by JCM10[/QUOTE]

Our's grooms cake was a surprise, too, but he loved it. It was his favorite cake flavor and had his college alma mater on it.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_whats-grooms-cake-whats-point?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:c75a3495-3625-4d56-8c52-6a9ccd149447Post:9575d208-c227-45e8-b5fe-f46f1e711c79">Re: What's a Groom's Cake? What's the Point?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm from the east coast and around here, the groom's cake is not popular. In fact, I haven't been to one wedding where they had one (and I've been to many).  I mentioned it to my FI and he thought it was the most ridiculous thing he's ever heard of and made sure I knew he'd be disappointed if I "wasted money" on it for him. Interesting how traditions vary from region to region!
    Posted by nebbiolo[/QUOTE]

I'm from the east coast, too, and I've seen them plenty of times. You probably shouldn't generalize your statements like that. I do think they are more popular in the south where the tradition was started, but they are becoming more and more common everywhere across the country.

And my H loved his cake and it only cost $50 for a simple sheet cake.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_whats-grooms-cake-whats-point?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c75a3495-3625-4d56-8c52-6a9ccd149447Post:597582db-7afb-4a3d-b11e-ec40fb922b12">Re: What's a Groom's Cake? What's the Point?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm hoping we can afford one to serve at the rehearsal dinner.  It'll be in the shape of Darth Vader's head, since FI is a huge Star Wars geek.
    Posted by I Want Cake[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh out LOUUD!! LOOVE star wars!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_whats-grooms-cake-whats-point?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c75a3495-3625-4d56-8c52-6a9ccd149447Post:9575d208-c227-45e8-b5fe-f46f1e711c79">Re: What's a Groom's Cake? What's the Point?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm from the east coast and around here, the groom's cake is not popular. In fact, I haven't been to one wedding where they had one (and I've been to many).  I mentioned it to my FI and he thought it was the most ridiculous thing he's ever heard of and made sure I knew he'd be disappointed if I "wasted money" on it for him. Interesting how traditions vary from region to region!
    Posted by nebbiolo[/QUOTE]

HAHA Maybe it's a CT thing- but I did the same thing! When I first heard of grooms cakes I was like WTF!? I told FI about them and he had the same reaction. I think it's a really cute idea though, just not one we are going to do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

In Mississippi, most groom's cakes are chocolate, making for a nice contrast with the brides traditional 'white" cake. Now people choose any type of cake for the groom, typically something fun and different. It's fun to cut the two cakes together. I think it makes the his/her union special to have the two sepeate cakes but then cut them "together!"

• edited December 2011

The only time I've ever seen a grooms cake at a wedding was in that movie Steel Magnolias lol...I'm surprised no one mentioned that you're single you're suppose to take a piece of the grooms cake and put it under your pillow and you'll dream about your future husband lol

I'm from California and have been to many weddings and never saw anyone have a grooms cake but like I said I did know about them...I asked my FI if he wanted one and he didn't seem too interested in having one.  I know traditionally the wedding cake is the Brides but he had just as much input into it as I did...we both agreed on the flavor, design, and how many tiers we wanted....so I really consider it both of ours :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    A really good friend of mine is actually doing the grooms cake for my FI. 

And now I feel kind of bad about it because I didnt realize my mom wanted to do it for him. 
  • edited December 2011
    I think having the cake at the RD is a great idea. We were married in Vegas and had a party a fewweekends later. I had a beautiful wedding cake made to look exactly like his car, then I surprised my hubby with a cake for the party.
    He loved it !
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm surprising FI with one at the RD. I wanted to get him one because he's been great through this whole process and keeps saying things like "It's all about the bride" (which I completely disagree with) so I wanted to do someting to make him feel like he's special too.
  • mlhubbardmlhubbard member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Being from the south, I've seen these at nearly every wedding I've been too.  It is traditionally a gift from the bride to the groom.  Tradition also dictates that you aren't supposed to serve it at the reception, but slice it and give it as favors to your guests.  Single girls then slip it under their pillow with hopes of dreaming of their future husbands!  We are giving ours away as a favor so it knocks out the groomscake and favor in one!  I'm also attaching the tradition of the groomscake story!

• mlhubbardmlhubbard member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in NWA as well!!  Fayetteville actually!
  • kaest4kaest4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since he is a really big New York Jets fan- I am going to surprise him with a New York Jets cake at the rehersal dinner the night before.
  • edited December 2011
    We are having a Grooms Cake at the reception, which is traditionally where they are supposed to be served. It is a Southern Tradition and it is a way for the groom to show his personality. It is supposed to be chocolate ckae and decorated in some type of format that is a hobby or special interest of the groom. Ours is going to be the Capitals Ice Rink since my FI is a HUGE Caps fan!! It is my surprise to him.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    i'm doing an army/firefighter themed cake for my FI, at rehearsal dinner since my wedding cake gal doesnt do "theme cakes"
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tina_csi_10tina_csi_10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with all the ladies. since WE pretty much get the cake that we want for our wedding, the grooms cake usually represents something that HE likes... I am planning on getting a grooms cake(budget permitting of course). We LOVE the show FRIENDS and for his grooms cake I want to get 1 lobster playing the guitar (which my fiance plays) and a cute chick lobster rockin out next to him... If you watch Friends you'll understand the "lobster" reference...
  • LamarnessLamarness member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want mine to be the M in the Monster logo, since my bf loves those. :] 
  • edited December 2011
    Ours is being serves next to the wedding cake.  He is thrilled!
     He's from New York, and I'm from here (Texas). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards