Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs

Both FI and I are vegetarians, and as such we'll be having a completey vegetarian wedding. We also have friends and family with special diets, including gluten-free and vegan, and I want to make sure there's something for everyone. I think I've gotten it figured out so that everyone will have something to eat. This menu does not include desserts.

Appetisers

1. Baked brie with gluten-free crackers
2. Goat cheese and fig toast
3. Roasted cauliflower (gluten free and vegan)
4. Dried cherries on vegan pastry, with or without gorgonzola

Salads

1. Green salad with blackberries, mandarin oranges, and raspberry vinagrette
2. Green salad with almonds, green beans, and light vinagrette

Main

1. Cauliflower gratin
2. Chickpea croquettes (vegan and gluten-free)
3. Lentil and chard soup (vegan and gluten free)

I'll also be providing freshly-baked bread from my bakery for the tables, including vegan and gluten-free bread.
Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Vacation tickers fibromyalgia Pictures, Images and Photos Visit The Nest! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Nest!

Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs

• Options
    I'd be totally bummed if I went to a wedding and it was all vegetarian.  Can't you do one meat thing for non vegetarians?
  • Options
    I would add a stationary display to your appetizers--maybe some veggies and dip.  I also think you need a little more for the main course.  Is it going to be buffet or plated?  What about adding a pasta dish?  I think that meat-eaters may be more comfortable with something like pasta primavera or butternut squash ravioli than what you have so far (I also just don't think what you have so far is enough, although I don't think you need to add meat).
  • Options
    I agree with jessica.   I don't think you need a meat dish, but if you have hard-core meat eaters you should add something more 'normal' like a pasta dish.

I would also add something to the cocktail party.  Cheese, veggie trays, dips for your breads would be a good stationary display.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I agree with PP. I don't eat red meat and am not a huge chicken/fish eater but I still wouldn't really eat much from that menu- I think adding a pasta is a great idea. What about something like Eggplant parm or eggplant rollitini- that can be very filling as well. Also, what about adding a more common cheese like cheddar or mozzerella?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Appetisers

1. Baked brie with gluten-free crackers
    2. Goat cheese and fig toast
    I like these two options, but like PPs said, add just a normal assortment of cheeses, vegetables, fruits to this.  A LOT of people do not like goat cheese at all.   If you have a variety of cheeses and crackers, gluten free crackers, melba toasts, etc. that will cover a wider range of palates. 
    3. Roasted cauliflower (gluten free and vegan)
    4. Dried cherries on vegan pastry, with or without gorgonzola

Salads

1. Green salad with blackberries, mandarin oranges, and raspberry vinagrette
    2. Green salad with almonds, green beans, and light vinagrette

Main

1. Cauliflower gratin 
    This is the second cauliflower based item on your menu.  While I love it, perhaps a regular potato gratin would be more of a crowd pleaser and add more variety.  
    2. Chickpea croquettes (vegan and gluten-free)
    Are these like falafel?  I am trying to get an idea for what these would be like.  
    3. Lentil and chard soup (vegan and gluten free)

I think you really, really need more main course options.  Ditto others who suggest a pasta dish. 
  • Options
    You say you want to offer "something for everyone", but so far there's nothing there for a guest who has no food allergies and is not a vegetarian. I do agree with the above posters that you should consider adding a basic pasta of some type, it can be meatless and delicious. You don't need to have meat in an alfredo sauce, simple tomato sauce with no meat broth included, or a pasta with garlic and olive oil and freshly grated parmesan cheese. These are "stick to your bones" types of dishes that would provide options to your guests who have no issues with gluten, and still meat free.

You are being very accomodating for your guests, which is a good thing. But you do need to consider the rest of the guests who have no issues with food.

Good luck.
  • Options

It seems to be lacking something. I agree with the PP's that adding a pasta or a meat dish would help round everything out. 2 dishes of cauliflower seems like a little much to me as it's a veggie that most people either love or hate. A nice alternitive could be squash or tomato gratin.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:ca844906-334c-4735-b456-5a869afb8e52">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd be totally bummed if I went to a wedding and it was all vegetarian.  Can't you do one meat thing for non vegetarians?
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

No. That's a huge compromise of my morality.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Vacation tickers fibromyalgia Pictures, Images and Photos Visit The Nest! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:55808f6b-8d1c-4c53-abba-a6111ba6065f">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I personnally love everything on your menu.  Granted I am a vegetarian and my fi has alleregies to nuts and pinenuts and both of us could find enough for us to eat.
    Posted by snippet17[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I also have allergies. People who don't have special diets often take for granted how easy it is for them to find food to eat- they've never been delegated to only being able to eat break and salad. I hear what everyone is saying, but most of what I'm hearing is "I'm uncomfortable with different types of food" which is just pickiness, imho, and not an excuse. Perhaps I will add an eggplant parmesean  for people who are scared of new things.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:bdbe4da7-00ae-4ac2-9df4-e61849b8fd57">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs : No. That's a huge compromise of my morality.
    Posted by charbakes[/QUOTE]

But see, since you invited guests to your wedding, it stopped being all about YOU.  You're now responsible for making sure your guests are comfortable and properly hosted.  Yes, you can properly host them without serving meat, but why invite them to your party, and then upset them with the menu?  YOU may like this menu, and that's great.  I just don't see it being very appealing to anyone who isn't vegetarian.  Honestly, I find all 3 of the main dish options extremely unappealing, therefore, if I was at your wedding you'd have paid for me to have a meal that I would not touch.  I doubt you have that kind of money to waste.  Bottom line, if you include others you're on the hook for providing them with food they will like, not you.  (Lots of people don't like eggplant either.)   You need to be a good hostess and cater to the non-vegetarians as well as vegetarians.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:159b5f74-4664-4d0e-8ec1-2bdd493b7336">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs : But see, since you invited guests to your wedding, it stopped being all about YOU.  You're now responsible for making sure your guests are comfortable and properly hosted.  Yes, you can properly host them without serving meat, but why invite them to your party, and then upset them with the menu?  YOU may like this menu, and that's great.  I just don't see it being very appealing to anyone who isn't vegetarian.  Honestly, I find all 3 of the main dish options extremely unappealing, therefore, if I was at your wedding you'd have paid for me to have a meal that I would not touch.  I doubt you have that kind of money to waste.  Bottom line, if you include others you're on the hook for providing them with food they will like, not you.  (Lots of people don't like eggplant either.)   You need to be a good hostess and cater to the non-vegetarians as well as vegetarians.
    Posted by RebeccaB88[/QUOTE]

My friends and family are there to celebrate my FI and I getting married. Our wedding is about the two of us. It's our wedding, no one elses. I am not a HOSTESS, I am a BRIDE. We are both vegetarians and it's important to us to have as ethical a wedding as possible. I'm not going to have any animal die because some people are too scared of vegetarian food to venture outside their comfort zone of steak and chicken. I spent too much money on culinary school to p*ss my wedding away on sh*tty catering food because people are picky.

Maybe I'll have some cows out back and let my guest slaughter their own meat.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have any problem finding something to eat. I think the cauliflower sounds awesome and the food itself isn't too weird. You're not serving seaweed seitandolmas, it's French food. And for what it;s worth I agree with you that you shouldn't compromise because some people might be scared of food that isn't typical American food. I've been a vegetarian for 10 years and people without dietary restrictions really do have no idea what it's like to have nothing to eat but salad because no one has but any thought into what you can and cannot eat. You're really happy just to have anything to eat at all! I've never had some of the things on the menu but that wouldn't deter me. I'm not scared of new foods, except for the possibility of there being an animal product in it I would get sick from- but I don't think I would have that concern at your wedding.

Also, f*ck whoever told you to serve meat. Seriously, go kill your own animal and cook it yourself if you're so scared of new foods. Would you serve dog at your wedding if it would make a few persnickity guests happy? Or would you find it morally reprehensible? It's your wedding and a happy occasion. The last thing you need is to see carcasses being masticated on.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I like NOLA's ideas particularly her suggestions for a greater variety in your app selection and for a potato gratin in lieu of two appearances of cauliflower.  I also think a pasta dish (perhaps even one made with a GF rice or corn pasta) or a risotto would provide diversity for people who do not enjoy the same variety of foods that you and your FI do.

A reception is a thank you to your guests for celebrating your wedding with you.  It's important that you consider that will appeal to them as well as what meets your food preferences.   I understand not wanting to serve meat, and I'm not sure it's necessary, but I would broaden the options available.
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:983beed7-53bd-4b87-bf0a-b766109a409a">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs : Thanks! I also have allergies. People who don't have special diets often take for granted how easy it is for them to find food to eat- they've never been delegated to only being able to eat break and salad. I hear what everyone is saying, but most of what I'm hearing is "I'm uncomfortable with different types of food" which is just pickiness, imho, and not an excuse. Perhaps I will add an eggplant parmesean  for people who are scared of new things.
    Posted by charbakes[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Why did you post the question if you are not willing to listen to the answers?</div><div>
    </div><div>As someone who has worked in F&B your menu is simply to limited.  The more people you invited, the more options you need.  It's that simple.    I'm not at all suggesting you add a meat option. But you really should ADD, not take away anything you already have, but ADD a more 'normal' option.</div><div>
    </div><div>For the record if you were a meat eater and gave me a similar a limited menu my answer would be the same.  "The menu is too limited, <strong>add </strong>some veggie options."

</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    sarabellamsarabellam member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:ca844906-334c-4735-b456-5a869afb8e52">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd be totally bummed if I went to a wedding and it was all vegetarian.  Can't you do one meat thing for non vegetarians?
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]
    Would you go to a Hindu wedding expecting to be served beef? A Jewish wedding expecting to be served pork? A Mormon wedding (okay, reception) expecting booze? No? Then why would you go to the wedding of 2 vegetarians and expect meat?

OP, your menu could use a bit more variety, if only to satisfy those picky eaters among your guests. Don't feel the need to serve meat, however.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:983beed7-53bd-4b87-bf0a-b766109a409a">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs : Thanks! I also have allergies. People who don't have special diets often take for granted how easy it is for them to find food to eat- they've never been delegated to only being able to eat break and salad. I hear what everyone is saying, but <strong>most of what I'm hearing is "I'm uncomfortable with different types of food" which is just pickiness,</strong> imho, and not an excuse. Perhaps I will add an eggplant parmesean  for people who are scared of new things.

<div>
    </div><div>Most people who have commented on here haven't said that at all. They've simply said that you might want to add something a little heavier to your main courses. Maybe some GF pasta. I get that the person who suggested adding meat (dumb idea) may have gotten under your skin, but that's no reason to disregard the extremely valid ideas that some PPs have brought up. NOLA and Lynda both had great ideas. </div><div>
    </div><div>I'm not a vegetarian, far from it, but your menu looks delicious to me at I'd eat any of it, I'm not in any way scared of it. However, I do think you need one more "normal" still meat-free, main course. For example, I don't see soup as a viable entree. When I go out for dinner, I see soup as a first course, like soup or salad, not something I eat all by itself. Now, I make all sorts of soups and chilis at home and eat them for dinner, but when I'm out, which is kind of like what a wedding would be, a bowl of soup isn't what I'm thinking of. </div><div>
    </div><div>I understand getting offended at the suggestion of meat, but don't discount what people are saying with some sort of blanket "you people are just afraid of new food" business. Also, if you and your FI are paying, you are bride and groom, but also host and hostess. That's what I am. as well. I had a fantastic menu through my caterer, but I realized (by posting it on here and talking to people in my life) that some of it was repetitive and that it's cool to have mostly what my FI and I eat, but it's always good to have something neutral or at least familiar on the menu as well. </div>
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:bdbe4da7-00ae-4ac2-9df4-e61849b8fd57">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs : No. That's a huge compromise of my morality.

Yes it may be but you are hosting a party and your guests comfort level should be your main concern.  Not everyone likes vegetarian meals and a lot of guests may be turned off by what you are offering.  I know I would.  You need to include something that is a bit more hardy and "normal" for your guests who are not vegetarian eaters.

Honestly, it would have been like me, who is a huge meat eater, not offering anything for my vegetarian guests because I believe meat is the only way to eat.

ETA:  and when I say hardy and "normal" I don't mean that it has to have meat but something that guests who are not so culinary apt will know what it is a most likely like it.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:1d3a63bd-e2cc-4011-8f50-086b936b36fa">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs : My friends and family are there to celebrate my FI and I getting married. Our wedding is about the two of us. It's our wedding, no one elses. I am not a HOSTESS, I am a BRIDE. We are both vegetarians and it's important to us to have as ethical a wedding as possible. I'm not going to have any animal die because some people are too scared of vegetarian food to venture outside their comfort zone of steak and chicken. I spent too much money on culinary school to p*ss my wedding away on sh*tty catering food because people are picky. Maybe I'll have some cows out back and let my guest slaughter their own meat.

Wow, I wish I had read the whole thread before posting.

You are being absolutely ridiculous.  It is fine that you are a vegetarian and believe what you believe but just as people respect your eating decisions you should also respect others eating decisions as well.

And yes you are the HOST or your wedding reception.  You are the one planning it correct?  If so then you are hosting your guests.  And as such you should host them to the best of your ability and in a way that will make them the most comfortable.

Now I am going to go find a cow, kill it with my bare hands and eat it!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:42751dd6-f542-4d0e-833a-8b9547894c04">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs : Yes it may be but you are hosting a party and your guests comfort level should be your main concern.  Not everyone likes vegetarian meals and a lot of guests may be turned off by what you are offering.  I know I would.  You need to include something that is a bit more hardy and "normal" for your guests who are not vegetarian eaters. Honestly,<strong> it would have been like me, who is a huge meat eater, not offering anything for my vegetarian guests because I believe meat is the only way to ea</strong>t. ETA:  and when I say hardy and "normal" I don't mean that it has to have meat but something that guests who are not so culinary apt will know what it is a most likely like it.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

This is not the same at all. That's not even close.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:095c532c-ffbe-4181-a3c7-0360a5d60be1">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs : <strong> Would you go to a Hindu wedding expecting to be served beef? A Jewish wedding expecting to be served pork? A Mormon wedding (okay, reception) expecting booze? No? Then why would you go to the wedding of 2 vegetarians and expect meat? OP, your menu could use a bit more variety, if only to satisfy those picky eaters among your guests. Don't feel the need to serve meat, however.</strong>
    Posted by sarabellam[/QUOTE]

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

I can totally understand OP getting upset at people suggesting she serve meat. I'm pretty sure those who are Chistians wouldn't appreciate being forced to renounce Christ and hail Satan just because there are a few guests who might be more comfortable with that.

People have a hard time seperating being <em>able</em> to eat sometime and wanting to eat something. Can they physically eat something on this menu? That alone is something so many people with special dietary needs are thankful for. Placating picky guests is one thing (and she said she would think of adding an eggplant paremsean to placate the picky palates) but compromising your morality? Do they just not take vegetarianism seriously as an actual lifestyle?

How the f*ck is abandoning your morality being a part of being a good host? That's so f*cked up to even suggest.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:742a33b7-cb2f-4ab4-8656-685efe4b481f">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs : I have an issue with this because I am a vegeterian and there have been a lot of weddings and other events that I have gone to where I could only eat dinner rolls. And I was told to either pick out the meat items, don't complain, the event is not about you and you can have your all vegetarian wedding when you get married.  It seems like a huge double standard.

Then the weddings that you went to that had this occur had very inconsiderate hosts.  They should have provided a vegetarian option for their guests or if a guest told them they were a vegetarian then they should have relayed this information to their venue.

Like I said before I have no problem with how people choose to eat but you shouldn't force your eating habits (those not assocaited with religions) upon all of your guests.  Thus, me who is a meat eater, provided my guests with a wide variety of options including meat, seafood or vegetarian so that they all would be comfortable eating something that met their dietary needs and that they would also enjoy.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:7a961541-caf2-4b6d-84b1-50be115ce592">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs : This is not the same at all. That's not even close.
    Posted by zoozoe[/QUOTE]

I am confused how it isn't the same?  Bascially the OP is pushing her eating habits onto her guests without giving them any other option.  We aren't saying that she needs to provide a meat entree we are simply telling her that individuals who are not used to a vegetarian lifestyle would most likely not be familiar with what she is providing so that she should provide an entree that is more "typical" or "normal" for those guests to choose from.

I think comparing religious restrictions and just being a vegetarian is a bit crazy.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:e91a737d-1a4e-4116-bfcf-2a2829a9d07b">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs : Then the weddings that you went to that had this occur had very inconsiderate hosts.  They should have provided a vegetarian option for their guests or if a guest told them they were a vegetarian then they should have relayed this information to their venue. Like I said before I have no problem with how people choose to eat but you shouldn't force your eating habits (those not assocaited with religions) upon all of your guests.  Thus, me who is a meat eater, provided my guests with a wide variety of options including meat, seafood or vegetarian so that they all would be comfortable eating something that met their dietary needs and that they would also enjoy.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

You don't know what it's like to go to a dinner and only have salad (sometimes not even this) and bread to eat. And I can't imagine how you can even think it's okay to tell someone to compromise their morality. If someone believes MEAT IS MURDER you're basically asking them to directly contribute to a murder. How the f*ck do you think this is okay?

Can you physically eat something from this menu? Can you do it without getting physically ill (which most vegetarians do after eating meat products) or feeling like you've contributed to murder or cruelty?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Many vegetarians believe meat is murder. Religious or not, it is an moral, ethical belief (believe it or not, you can actually have morals and ethics outside of religion). And you don't know what religion the OP is. Several religions, including Buddhism, oppose the taking of life which incluses non-human animals.

Telling a bride she should serve something she considers murder because it would make you more comfortable is morally reprehensible.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think it's ridiculous to ask a vegetarian to serve meat at their reception.  

However, my answer still stands. The menu is too limited.  OP needs to add a more 'normal' vegetarian dish.

• Options
    Are people allergic to reading?  Only ONE person on this thread has said OP should add meat to her menu.  Get over it and read the OTHER posts, which have offered very good advice for making your menu more universally appealing.

Zoozoe - I'm not a vegetarian, celiac, or vegan and I too know what it's like to go to a dinner and only have salad and bread to eat, or less. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:405b4845-893e-4d5b-8594-12d4c1c0f87d">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs : You don't know what it's like to go to a dinner and only have salad (sometimes not even this) and bread to eat. And I can't imagine how you can even think it's okay to tell someone to compromise their morality. If someone believes MEAT IS MURDER you're basically asking them to directly contribute to a murder. How the f*ck do you think this is okay? Can you physically eat something from this menu? Can you do it without getting physically ill (which most vegetarians do after eating meat products) or feeling like you've contributed to murder or cruelty?
    Posted by zoozoe[/QUOTE]

I am sorry you have this problem with places that you go to eat.  But at any hosted event a good host or hostess would have all options available for all types of eating restrictions.  If you are going to hosted events where this is not the case take it up with them not with me.

Again, like I have said many times, I said that she needs to add something that is more familiar or "normal" for those not used to a vegetarian lifestyle.  I said that that entree does not have to include meat.

But I still back that everyone should respect everyone's food choice.  If I didn't respect a vegetarians or vegans food choices I would have strickly served a whole cow and pig at my wedding.  If you don't eat meat oh well guess it is just salad and rolls for you.  But I would have never done anything of the sort because I wanted to make sure everyone was comfortable.  OP comes off as saying that her way of eating is the only way of eating and I was just trying to say that it isn't and that she needs to respect everyone's decisions.

But I damn well know that I specifically said that a more familiar or normal option that does not include meat would be a good addition in my OP.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:9e86567d-d54a-4209-be86-d0f4ff1c5697">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs : It is not just guest it is also any event my mom is at she does this. Then again people have opened a jar of peanut butter in the same room my fiance is in. So I just feel a lot of people do not care about other people's dietary choices because either they do not care or do not understand.  People that do rock and it would not be an issue.

I am all for accomodating people's dietary needs especially one's that involve possibly deadly allergies.  Heck if someone I invited to my wedding said that all they ate was grapefruit and jello then you best believe that they would have a bowl of grapefruit and jello in front of them for dinner.

I think it is horrible when people just don'e care especially when it comes to close family.  They are the one's that should know your eating habits the best and be the most accomodating.  It is horrible that they are so unaware or just don't care.

Eat and let eat!  I don't care what or how anyone eats because if that is what they want to do then great.  But it just gets under my skin when people who have chosen a specific way of eating try and press that upon others and think that is the only way to eat.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_menu-draft-for-wedding-with-special-dietary-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c939b4af-8bbd-4ee0-988d-00b6f0995958Post:b7785f56-cdae-4cf3-8b2a-5b0094a27548">Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Menu draft for wedding with special dietary needs : Sorry if I did seem that way. I sometimes type things out without thinking. My fiance is a meat eater and we are having a chicken dish.  I do panic and take his allergies higher then I do with me not eating meat.

No I didn't feel like you came across that way.  Others yes, but not you.  But I feel the same way about any topic where a person feels that their opinion or line of thinking is the only way, so it isn't just about vegetarian vs meat eaters.

I would take his allergies seriously as well since that can be life or death if you don't.  So I don't blame you in the least for getting a little panicky over it.

• Options
    I don't want to get into the vegetarian thing, I already said I think it's fine.  I served fish at my wedding, but no meat.  

OP, the problem is, people will be hungry at your wedding.  People expect a larger meal at a wedding that is festive.  Cauliflower gratin, chickpea patties, and lentil soup sounds like what I would bring to work for lunch.  You need to offer more things to accomodate more tastes and just feed people more.  I just went to a vegan wedding.  The buffet was salad, rolls, risotto cakes, roasted vegetable stacks, mashed potatoes, and vegetarian wellingtons (w/some kind of protein inside) with gravy.  It gave people lots of options.  Add more food--either more creative things or a "safer" option, like pasta, if you know you will have guests that will be looking for something less adventurous.  

If you don't want to provide a proper meal for your guests, you shouldn't be inviting them to a wedding.  It's your day to get married, but it's not your day to treat your friends and family like crap.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards