Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

XP'd on Budget Weddings and DIY : Anyone make your own cake?

I'm really tempted.

We're planning on doing small 2 layer "patty cakes" for the guests but for us to cut into, we want to have a three layer tiered cake with a false middle layer. We want to cut from the bottom later, and save the top layer for the 1st anniversary.

Hhas anyone else done this? How did it turn out? Any advice?

Thanks ladies.
"Who died and made you Dagon?" - stackeye210 I'm supposed to be falling for myself...and not falling for just any guy out there in the world.....

Re: XP'd on Budget Weddings and DIY : Anyone make your own cake?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a friend who made a small wedding cake for her and her husband to cut, but it wasn't tiered and she didn't make the guests' cake-- it was a sheet cake from the restaurant where her reception was held.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good thing you have time to think about this..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Why do you want the middle tier to be fake? The bottom cake tier will be the largest, thus serving more people - so if it only for your to cut in to you would be wasting less cake with the middle tier real and bottom fake.

Still, why go fake at all?  If you are worried you might not be able to make the cake I would just hire a baker.  I can't imagine doing all the little things that need taken cake of in the last 72 hours before my wedding and having to make the cake.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input. Making the bottom tier fake will probably work.

"Who died and made you Dagon?" - stackeye210 I'm supposed to be falling for myself...and not falling for just any guy out there in the world.....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards