Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Entree Selections

We plan to offer 3 entree selections. One will be rack of lamb because it's my Fi's favorite and another will be a vegan option. I'm struggling with deciding if the last option should be a seafood or chicken. FI says I should pick my favorite and that be it but I want everyone to be happy. I know some people don't like lamb or have never had it. 

The chicken dish that sounds best is a stuffed chicken breast with cheese and prosciutto inside.

All the seafood sounds amazing and some options are grilled salmon, smoked salmon, mahi mahi, sea bass or jumbo shrimp. There's also a lobster ravioli.

I personally love seafood but if the options were lamb, seafood or vegan could you happily pick an option? Should I ask FI to consider a more traditional beef vs the lamb?
Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio

Re: Entree Selections

• Options
    peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think a chicken dish is the safest if you want something that a lot of people will eat.  although, i'd get a chicken dish that was just chicken.  i know a lot of people that eat chicken but don't eat pork.  also, i don't know about your guests, but i don't think i know too many people that would eat lamb.  i would be hesitant to serve a dish just because it's my favorite if i didn't think a decent number of other people would also enjoy it.  i'd presonaly go with the beef option.  but it is up to you, it's not like they don't have other choices. also a vegan option is good becuase it is something that generally, everyone can eat.  i think if it was a lamb, chicken (just chicken), or vegan option everyone could find something. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you should choose beef instead of lamb.  More people will probably eat the beef than they would the lamb, and plus, I don't understand how anyone can eat/serve/purchase lamb and still feel good about themselves.  Poor little baby lambs. :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that you should stick with the lamb, vegan and go with a seafood!! I feel like people would definitely happily pick an item.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It would depend on what seafood you chose. I am picky about fish. Like, I love mahi mahi but would hate a salmon dish. Unfortunately, I think that taste varies by person, so I would suggest either going to safe route and doing chicken for your 3rd option, or doing the fish and subbing a beef dish for the lamb. I'm not against eating lamb, but would prefer a filet any day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mch07cmch07c member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go with the chicken. Personally, if my options were lamb, seafood, and vegan, I would not be happy, but I would go with vegan (even though I am not one). I also know that many of my friends and family would not be happy with those options. I'd go with at least the chicken dish.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    jess9802jess9802 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I like lamb but I am particular about how it's served. I'd be hesitant to order it at a wedding - and I don't eat seafood. I'd go with the chicken or sub beef for the lamb.
  • Options
    leogirl13leogirl13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go with the chicken. And make sure your vegan dish is really vegan.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would stick with the lamb if that's FI's favorite. The meat-eaters I know see lamb as a treat.  My cousin had lamb at her wedding, and it seemed well received (and her fish dish was a rare tuna steak...more risky than the seafood options you're considering).  I would say go with a seafood dish as the third, since that's your preference (also good for people who don't eat meat but eat fish).  If you go for a milder fish, like mahi mahi, that will probably appeal to more people, and you could consider a seafood/pasta dish, which I think of as more approachable to people that aren't big seafood fans. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
      I'd do chicken as the third choice. But, I agree with the pp that said not to have it with prosciutto. I LOVE prosciutto, but many people don't eat pork.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_entree-selections?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:d507f140-4adc-47a0-8c3d-55a640ef24a5Post:b1d5fa28-67c5-4015-89fa-101a4200d2aa">Re: Entree Selections</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you should choose beef instead of lamb.  More people will probably eat the beef than they would the lamb, and plus, I don't understand how anyone can eat/serve/purchase lamb and still feel good about themselves.  Poor little baby lambs. :(
    Posted by RainbowBrite85[/QUOTE]

I'm giving a serious side-eye to this. Unless you're a vegan, eating lamb is really no different than eating cow, or chicken, or pig (which is smarter than a dog, fyi).

ANYWAY if someone can't find something to eat between lamb, vegan and fish/chicken, they're just kinda picky. I stressed over our menu, but in the end, just pick what you think is delicious. I agree that pork (prosciutto) is one of those things not a lot of people may eat.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_entree-selections?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:d507f140-4adc-47a0-8c3d-55a640ef24a5Post:64c25b9c-940f-45ec-8c91-35591522ff0a">Entree Selections</a>:
    [QUOTE] I personally love seafood but if the options were lamb, seafood or vegan could you happily pick an option? Should I ask FI to consider a more traditional beef vs the lamb?
    Posted by Miracle520[/QUOTE]

If those were my choices, I would probably have nothing to eat.  I don't like lamb, I can't stand fish, allergic to seafood, and I generally don't like what makes up most vegan options.  (Soy allergy too.)  I'm diabetic and have to have protein with each meal.  But then, I'm not allergic to lamb or fish or veggies, just picky, and you don't have to work around pickiness.  I can eat or not eat, as my choice, but I can say I'd be disappointed in the choices.

I would probably do the chicken and either the lamb or the fish/seafood.  The chicken sounds pretty good to me.  You could do the beef, but maybe not as an option with lamb.  You want a lighter option (chicken/fish) with a red meat option (beef/lamb). 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would be happy with lamb, fish, and vegan. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all the imput. I have asked around amongst many of our close friends and family as well and they are all happy with the meal offerings. We are going to do the lamb, mahi mahi and the vegan option. I'm being selfish and picking seafood so I will enjoy the dinner at my wedding.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_entree-selections?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:d507f140-4adc-47a0-8c3d-55a640ef24a5Post:e13b6ed5-efb9-401e-a24c-4605f10f21f3">Re: Entree Selections</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for all the imput. I have asked around amongst many of our close friends and family as well and they are all happy with the meal offerings. We are going to do the lamb, mahi mahi and the vegan option. I'm being selfish and picking seafood so I will enjoy the dinner at my wedding.
    Posted by Miracle520[/QUOTE]

I think it's perfectly acceptible that you and your FI each have your favorite meals at the wedding. I had a vegetarian wedding (and many issues when into that decision) and I got flak on and off TK, but in the end, everyone had a good time, the food was delicious, and many people said it was one of the best weddings they had been to. Good luck!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards