Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

No formal meal?

Hey All -

With the staggering cost of caters, we were thinking of just doing ample amounts of hors d'oeurvres and no formal meal (buffet or otherwise.) Has anyone ever tried this? I can't decide if it's a briliant idea or if it'll just be a big mess.

Thoughts?

Re: No formal meal?

• What time is your wedding?

If it's during a meal time then you need to provide enough food to be considered a meal. 

Sometimes lots of hors d'oeuvers costs more than a meal so make sure you do your  research.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • what PP ^^ said
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    I've been to weddings where this was done well, but I've also been to weddings where it wasn't.  I went to a wedding a week ago that did this, and they didn't have enough substantial options.  I know I ate a meal's worth, but I was not full by the end of it.  But ditto everyone else- this option was more expensive at our venue than any of the actual meal options.
  • That's what I'm doing and it's going to be lovely. My wedding is at 2, reception will start about 3 and be over by 7, so there really isn't any need for a full meal (it'll still be plenty of food). We're also serving beer, wine, and champagne. You can actually see a post that has my menu a little further down the page. It's going to cost a good bit less than a plated meal or buffet, especially when you consider servers and place settings and all those little things.

Do keep in mind that your reception may be a little shorter and more informal than it would be with a dinner. That also can happen if you have the wedding in the afternoon. We're not hiring a dance floor or DJ, just a trio to play background music. I feel like if you're expecting people to go all night and party you'll definitely end up spending more on food with just hors d'oeuvres than if you just did dinner, but if you're fine with a more cocktail party like affair then you'll probably come out ahead. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_no-formal-meal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:d619eef7-7b19-409a-9c6b-6c716d4d409dPost:15f8b335-45e9-4d9f-a99f-da3031071fd5">Re: No formal meal?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's what I'm doing and it's going to be lovely. My wedding is at 2, reception will start about 3 and be over by 7, so there really isn't any need for a full meal (it'll still be plenty of food).e[/QUOTE]

<div>I am doing the exact same thing... even the time of our wedding and reception is the same as this!  lol!</div>
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards