Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

"Manly" signature drink

My fiance and I are having a limited bar at our reception and will be serving beer, wine, and 2 signature drinks. While my fiance probably won't really drink, if he does it will be beer. I love the idea of having a signature drink but don't want both of them to be 'mine'. I want to be able to offer people who don't like their liquor mixed with something fruity (which it what I am more inclined to select) a drink too and not limit them to beer or wine.

So, I need help thinking of a drink that isn't too 'girly' but that can also be served out of a glass beverage dispenser. We will have our buffet people occasionally stir the drinks in the dispensers so all the alcohol doesn't settle on the bottom but I need something that is visually appealing as well as be a good drink choice for people who do not like fruity drinks.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: "Manly" signature drink

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My default is always a Gin & Tonic, but that certainly won't sit well in a pitcher.  You pretty much rule out anything with carbonation.  What about a screwdriver?   Arnold Palmer with alcohol?  Or a Kahlua based drink that is not fruity at all?
  • Options
    TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm...margaritas?  I know it's still sort of fruity, but I don't think of it as a typical "fruity" drink.  Everything that I can come up with has some sort of fruit in it--vodka cranberry, vodka with lemonade or limeade.  Actually, my FI's brother mixes limeade and vodka and it's very good.  His parents had a backyard graduation party and served a huge cooler (with the spout) of the vodka limeade and people went crazy!  It was a huge hit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have one of those large glass beverage dispensers, and you have to be careful with things that have pulp or any "thickness" to it as it clogs the dispenser.

If it were me, once I'd decided on the "girlie" drink, I'd probably choose something "Manly" made with the same alcohol, to save money and keep it simple. You also have to keep in mind that you don't want ice in the dispenser, as over time it will water down the drink.

You could have your fiance ask his male family & friends what they like to drink if it's a mixed drink. I'd think carbonation would be ok, because the dispensers have a lid, and you have someone to mix it occasionally. Rum & Coke? Gin & Tonic?

Whatever you serve, have the ice and lemon/lime on the side for their drink. If you want to choose by alcohol, this website has great ideas:
    www.drinksmixer.com.

Good luck.
  • Options
    HaylaCHaylaC member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i would suggest a rum based cocktail, something like a mojito or a mai tai maybe?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Honeymoon Sunset

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Deliciousness has no gender affiliation. 

But for a cocktail that will put a little hair on everyone's chest you could try a Sazerac. 

Other options that might be a bit more crowd-friendly are sangria, bloody mary's, Firefly vodka and lemonade, cranberry vodka, screwdrivers.  Some of these are sweet obviously, but they're not as "girly" as like an apple-tini or cosmo. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How about a dirty martini? Serve it with a side of blue cheese stuffed olives.
  • Options
    katheriner89katheriner89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our "manly" drink is going to be Jack & coke.. most of the men coming to the wedding drink that anyway.

But since you will be having it in a dispenser, I'd do a screwdriver, pulp-less OJ. Is it the kind that has the middle hollowed out for ice to keep it cool or will you have the drink room temp. & their glasses have ice? Because that changes the taste alot.

Good Luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    orangecrush32orangecrush32 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the pp that said Screwdriver. It's not seen as a girly drink and it's absolutely delicious (my drink of choice ;) ).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Last summer we hade a bbq, and I made a pitcher of margarita, but i had "ice cubes" made of frozen limejuice in the pitcher, as well as regular ice cubes on the side. Worked very well, as the lime di'dnt water down the drink as much.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would do something "Mad Men" inspired. Gimlet, Whiskey Sour- something along those lines.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_manly-signature-drink?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:d6a09d67-6e54-4991-a004-02c17636949fPost:a87c9952-02bb-4d10-ba69-b960a0ed4b3d">Re: "Manly" signature drink</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would do something "Mad Men" inspired. Gimlet, Whiskey Sour- something along those lines.
    Posted by sb9411[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Or a moscow mule or an old-fashioned.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    anwalletteanwallette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try a "Perfect Manhattan" - if you don't like that, there are other variations with different additives to the overall base.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just asked my FI. He said Manhattan.  :-)
  • Options
    Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't worry as much about it being 'manly' and more about making sure your two drinks give some variety.  So if you're going fruity I'd lean towards a Jack and Coke or Captain and Coke (like PP said hopefully carbonation shouldn't be a huge issue).  Vodka lemonade would also be an option, just because it's a little tart, so not too sweet on both drinks.  For a mass service like this I'd be tempted to stick to something simple, where the name pretty much says it all and you won't be getting "what's in that?" all night.... JMO
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a name for it but... for my FI birthday last year we made up some "Lemonade" with Citron Vodka, Lemonchello, and premade lemonade. It wasn't super sweet and was super refreshing.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it you could even do brewed iced tea instead of the lemonade to cut the sweetness more, also it would give you a brown hue rather then bright yellow. Good luck
  • Options
    dunnkatdunnkat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Arnold palmer is a great drink , its firefly vodka (sweet tea flavored vodka) and lemonade, its sooooo good and I think the name sounds pretty manly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards