Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Tacky Menu?

Our weddding recpetion is going to take place around four in the afternoon, so I thought having a sit down dinner didn't really make sense. So we decided to have a kind of appetizer buffet, our cake, and cupcakes in the same flavor of the cake. The appetizers range from candied bacon and green apple canpaes to bacon chicken mini quesidillas. Is that too casual? The whole thing is pretty small, the reception is in our church with maybe a hundred people total.

Re: Tacky Menu?

• Options
    How long do you plan on your reception lasting? If it's only lasting an hour or two, I think that could work because guests can go for dinner afterward. But I'd definitely let your guests know so they're not expecting a full dinner. Maybe phrase it as heavy hors d'oeuvres on the invites.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Four o'clock is still cutting it pretty close to dinner time.  I would put "Hors D'ouerve" reception to follow on the invitation or have some heartier appetizers that you will be serving.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    How long is the reception?  I would not have a 4 hours reception without a real meal.

And for the record I do not get people who think 4 pm is too early for dinner?   I mean do I eat dinner at 4 often?  NO, I normally eat between 7-9.  But have you people NEVER had a holiday meal in the afternoon? Never had an early Thanksgiving dinner?  Never went to late afternoon backyard BBQ?  I think most people have some sort of event where they eat at an unusual time.  Sorry, I just don't get the concept.  4pm = too early.  5pm = okay.   Strange.

*** your menu sounds fine, but I think I would start it earlier if plan on something longer than an hour.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_tacky-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:da9f392d-0493-4a72-89fa-33d49020f525Post:3835c9a8-24d9-4b37-9e09-9794cb5325de">Re: Tacky Menu?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How long is the reception?  I would not have a 4 hours reception without a real meal. And for the record I do not get people who think 4 pm is too early for dinner?   I mean do I eat dinner at 4 often?  NO, I normally eat between 7-9.  But have you people NEVER had a holiday meal in the afternoon? Never had an early Thanksgiving dinner?  Never went to late afternoon backyard BBQ?  I think most people have some sort of event where they eat at an unusual time.  Sorry, I just don't get the concept.  4pm = too early.  5pm = okay.   Strange. *** your menu sounds fine, but I think I would start it earlier if plan on something longer than an hour.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

I said 4 o'clock is cutting it close to only have light appetizers.  If she is planning on this reception lasting more than 2-3 hours, that's running into most people's dinner times.  DH and I eat at 7.  My parents, brothers and most of my friends eat between 5 and 6.  OP is not planning on enough food for this time of day,
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_tacky-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:da9f392d-0493-4a72-89fa-33d49020f525Post:73152c16-e4d9-43e5-9e4d-3eb6720c9f24">Tacky Menu?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our weddding recpetion is going to take place around four in the afternoon, so I thought having a sit down dinner didn't really make sense. So we decided to have a kind of appetizer buffet, our cake, and cupcakes in the same flavor of the cake. The appetizers range from candied bacon and green apple canpaes to bacon chicken mini quesidillas. Is that too casual? The whole thing is pretty small, the reception is in our church with maybe a hundred people total.
    Posted by spgirl4ever[/QUOTE]
    Just curious as to why you are doing the cupcakes the same flavor as the cake?  Is the cake a smaller cake just for cutting?  If it is a big cake that everyone is getting a piece of I would think people would prefer some variety.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    One of our options for ceremony time is 4pm.  That would put us starting our cocktail hour around 5, which would put the food being served around 6-6:30. That's dinnertime. So we would absolutely serve dinner if we went with the 4:00 time slot.  If you could move the ceremony to around 2, I think your menu sounds perfect.  At 4 you will need to plan dinner.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Who exactly sets all these rules? I understand the old rule of it must be done this way! But Times are changing and people have to make due with what they have and work with it! I say do what you want, just indicate on invite what you are doing.

Hope you have a wonderful wedding!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_tacky-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:da9f392d-0493-4a72-89fa-33d49020f525Post:935c46b7-112c-4ded-9894-f5f715e99772">Re: Tacky Menu?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who exactly sets all these rules? I understand the old rule of it must be done this way! But Times are changing and people have to make due with what they have and work with it! I say do what you want, just indicate on invite what you are doing. Hope you have a wonderful wedding!
    Posted by chinoerikawedding[/QUOTE]

Its not about "rules". Its about common courtesy. Most people eat between 5-7. That is a general fact. If your reception is starting at 5 pm and only serves light appetizers, most people are not going to stay long. The reception is a thank you to your guests so you do want them to enjoy themselves. Most PP's said if it is a short reception the menu is fine but if she wants it to go longer she needs to feel people a meal.
  • Options
    I think it sounds fine as long as it doesn't last more than 2 hours.  After 6:00 some people are going to want to eat dinner.
  • Options
    Are you doing this for budget reasons?  If so, then I say its fine as you do with what you have... just let guests know ahead of time.  If you can, I would serve a full meal.  Most people go to weddings expecting to eat a real meal. So if you can, I would do that... 4pm isn't too early at all to serve dinner.  I usually eat dinner at home before 5 pm anyway. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Interesting, I thought if you indicated on the invitation what you can do, people will understand. I guess my "people" are a lot more forgiving. Most of the brides I know and have dealt with have always said sometimes sitting down to a formal meal is BORING! As long as you have enough chairs to people to sit down and visit, I again say do YOU! Enjoy yourself and your guests.

And most people don't really enjoy wedding food anyway. I have only been to one wedding where the food was AWESOME.....most people want to get to the dancing and the cake....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards