Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Is it wrong?

If i don't have a cake? We are having our "reception" at a restaurant. It's just going to be a dinner, not a private catered party or anything.

Re: Is it wrong?

• ikrystalikrystal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont think there is any definition of "normal" or "tradition" really - especially now when everyone wants to do things differently.  Nothing wrong with not having a cake!
  • edited December 2011
    i would host some type of dessert.  but, it doesn't necessarily have to be a wedding cake.

some people do get really excited to see the wedding cake.  so a few people might be expecting one, but that doesn't mean it's wrong not to have one.
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could do cupcakes or any other type of dessert.
  • edited December 2011
    You should have some kind of sweet offering at the end of the meal, but it doesn't have to be wedding cake.  We had a dessert buffet that was a big hit (even though we did have a catered party in a ballroom).  
  • oliviamarie13oliviamarie13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are not having a cake as well. Instead we are buying a bunch of different cakes and desserts as well as pies. We just did not see the point in spending all that money on a cake when it is not us. I say go for what you want and just have a good time. If it's at a restaurant and they have dessert then that sounds perfect! Best wishes!
  • edited December 2011
    A cake is not neccessary, but I would offer some kind of dessert.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's nothing wrong with not having a wedding cake, just make sure there is some type of dessert served to your guests.
  • starree444starree444 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are definitely having dessert, no doubt about that, i just wasn't sure if not having a cake as well is okay.
  • LoveYouBLoveYouB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like having dessert with dinner so I would definitely provide something sweet (doesnt ahve to be a cake) for after dinner. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If you're going to a restaurant then obviously a dessert will be an option if people want it. My recommendation would be to do something cute and cheeky, like get a creme brulee or cheesecake or something that you like for the two of you to share and then still do the "cake cutting" tradition with that little dessert. It would be good for a laugh and everyone would remember it. The restaurant might even decorate it for you.

But whatever you decide to do is fine. It is your wedding after all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards