Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Small cake and sheet cake

Has anyone done a small cake to cut with a large sheet cake? We wanted to do just a small tier so the sheet cake can be cut and served immediately after and have two flavors. My concern is that the cake we like is too small. It would be two tiers, 4" on the top and 6" on the bottom. Will that get 'lost' in the reception?
imageVacation

Re: Small cake and sheet cake

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2012
    Can you do a fake tier to give it more height/show?
  • my venue provides two cakes - one display and one sheet - with the option of two flavors - so it is done...
    I am ending up with 3 cakes - the venue only offers whipcream icing and i really had my heart set on the smooth fondant -the up charge was $900-1200 so i am having a co worker make it for less only cutting it during the reception then serving the other two cakes to the guests...
    i am hoping for about 65 guests but still want a beautiful cake
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    I would see about getting a fake tier and then find a cake stand to elevate it more.  A lot of the places that rent wedding items (chairs, covers, sashes, etc.) also have cake stands.
  • I was actually thinking about doing this, but I found someone where she is going to do a small two tiered cake for cutting and she is actually going to make two other seperate round cakes that will be on different cake stands so Its more of a display. Mine will feed 100. I am also going to have three different flavored cheesecakes. 

When you talk to your cake people, if you consider a fake tier, make sure it doesn't cost just as much as real cake. Severl bakers I talked to the materials to make the fake tier only save about $5. 

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards