Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Reception Appetizers

Ok, so my fiance and I met with a prospective caterer and she gave us an estimate based on a possible menu.  It didn't sound like enough food to me, but I wanted to get some other opinions.  

Cocktail hour:
3 passed appetizers-- BBQ pulled pork tarts, chicken cordon bleu bites, and spanakopita (1 piece of each per person)

Dinner/Heavy Appetizers: (mid range option)--2 pieces of each per person
Lime chipotle pork bites
Mini hot browns
veggies w/ blue cheese
cheese tray with grapes
artichoke stuffed mushrooms
smoked salmon bites w/ dilled cream cheese

Dinner/Heavy Appetizers: (high end option)--2 pieces of each per person
beef tenderloin
mini crab cakes
veggies w/ blue cheese
cheese tortellini skewers
mini mac and cheese
roma tomato, mozzarella, and basil bruschetta

It seems to me that 3 passed appetizers with only one piece per person and 6 appetizers for dinner is not very much food.  It's also important to note that our wedding is starting at 5:30, cocktail hour 6-7, and reception from 7-11....I would think we would need way more food for that time period.  Let me know your thoughts!! Thanks :)
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Reception Appetizers

• edited December 2011
    Yeah, I don't think that sounds like enough food either. I'd be starving by the end of the reception. Out of curiosity, what size are these appetizers? If they aren't little mini things, then I still think you need more, but not as much as if they are appetizer sized.

I ask because my cocktail hour had one of each app per person, and I was worried there wouldn't be enough, but they were full first course sized options. If yours are that big, then I'd say you'd need something more like 8-12 pieces per person as opposed to 12- 18 or so (my cocktail party rule of thumb is 2-3 pieces per person of each type)
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, all the food for cocktail hour AND dinner is appetizer size.  I just can't imagine that this would be enough food! 

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    The food itself sounds great!  But definitely not enough.  People will take more of what they like and not take any of what they don't.  I would err on the side of too much, otherwise people will be hungry and will leave early to get a meal.  To me, 12 to 18 per person sounds right, probably closer to 18.  You don't want to run out of food before everyone has eaten, especially if you're serving alcohol.
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that you definately need more!!! Heavy appetizers are good though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards