Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Rustic Country themed food?

So we're getting married outside, having cocktail hour and appetizers in the grain bin, and dinner in the barn. I'm thinking...

apps- fruit, veggie, cheese tray & bacon cheese ranch pinwheel roll things

dinner-mini pulled pork sandwiches, corn on the cob, cheesy potatoes

What are some fun, yummy and unique apps and entrees that my guests would enjoy?

Any ideas would help!

Re: Rustic Country themed food?

• Options
    Hi,
    I'm doing the same type of thing in CT!  Our menu is called "Upscale Picnic" by the caterer and I think it fits well - we are doing the mini pulled pork sandwiches (sandwiches will be made at the buffet so if someone doesn't want a sandwich, they can opt for just the pork or whatever), a spice rubbed grilled chicken (caterer recommended a bbq chicken but I wanted something different instead of 2 bbq entrees), a fancy coleslaw, simple potato salad, salad bar, roasted veggies.  We are having mini andouille sausages as one of the apps, as well as a fruit/veggie/cheese platter, and a guacamole bar (our wedding is on Cinco de Mayo and I love guacamole so why not?).  I did choose not to go for the corn on the cob because of the corn in the teeth factor - even though I seriously considered it but am thinking of a roasted corn dish instead.  Love the cheesy potatoes!!  

As far as apps, I like the bacon/ranch pinwheels idea.  Maybe mini chicken drummettes? or bbq chicken skewers? Basil/tomato/mozzarella on a little skewer are classy but delicious and would fit the outdoorsy/barn idea too.  Roasted veggies drizzled with some rosemary olive oil could be another app or side dish idea as well, or a pasta with roasted veggies in it if you are looking for a vegetarian option.

Have fun!
  • Options
    Sounds delicious!

I agree with Sweetsunshine that a corn dish would be easier to eat than corn-on-the-cob (much as I love it!):  roasted corn or a corn pudding/casserole maybe?  Three cheers on the cheesy potatoes!

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of green veggies (just those on the appetizer tray), so I'd suggest adding something to the main course.  Herb-roasted veggies would fit with the rustic-theme, or consider grilled-veggie kabobs (can be done with a length of rosemary as the "kabob" which gives the veggies amazing flavor); this also gives anyone who is vegetarian or doesn't care for pork more to eat.

What time of year are you getting married?  If it's in the fall, you might consider something warm with the apps. -- "shots" of butternut squash soup or roasted tomato and/or red pepper soup, for instance.  One of the local caterers offers an app. of a tomato soup shooter with a mini grilled cheese sandwich on top (of the glass) ... I loved the idea, but it doesn't work as well now that we've moved the wedding to spring.

• Options
    Love your ideas but for dinner I'd offer a bit more than pulled pork for the main course. Perhaps adding BBQ chicken and a vegetarian option (grilled veggies?). Some yummy sides you could add are corn bread, salt potatoes, potato salad, macaroni salad, tossed salad, etc.
  • Options

We are having an early February wedding, in New England, so it will be cold and probably snowing (maybe), and we are having a 5pm reception. Our theme is rustic winter. It is inside our parents rustc home, but we have no seating except lounge type, so we can't do sit down. We have a rustic bread loaf & cheese plate, raw veggies and warm dips, hot cocoa bar & loose leaf tea area, and doughnuts for dessert, but I can't think of the main meal!
    It needs to be something people can carry around. FInger foods, maybe soup in mugs?? ANy cool fun ideas? Think charming farm/organic/seasonal......

• Options
    I really like these ideas. My fiance and I are getting married next September and having a rustic country themed wedding. Thanks for the many ideas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards