Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Options for Cake but not a Cake?

I was wondering if people could give suggestions--both my fiancee and I hate cake and sugary things but are trying to come up for something for the reception. And whenever I discuss this with my wedding party or planner they look at me like I'm crazy... We just arent into sweets but know we need to serve something as well as something to cut

I am hoping that someone can guide me down the right path.

thanks so much

Re: Options for Cake but not a Cake?

• Options
    When you do eat dessert, what type of dessert do you like?  I would start there.  What about a sorbet bar?

Also you don't necessarily need something to cut if you don't want o.

• Options
    Chocolate covered fruit? Cheesecakes? Pies? Ice cream?  Rice krispie treats? 

A "cake" of stacked wheels of cheese?

I think it's nice to provide some sort of sweets for the guests because it's a big crowd pleaser. Don't blow the budget on it or anything if it's not a priority for you and FI, but guests will appreciate a dessert. 

I, too, don't like sweets. I originally wanted just wheels of cheese stacked like a cake but quickly scrapped the idea because it was clear that the guests would not appreciate it as much as I did. 

• Options

I had thought about a cheese wheel cake with nuts, chocolate covered fruit and some types of crackers... But figured people would be annoyed they weren't getting sugary sweets. Thanks for the suggestions--I have a lot to mull over

• Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    Um, I love cake and sweets and would be terribly disappointed if I didn't get that. Think about your guests. What would they like?
  • Options
    I, too, would be bummed with no dessert. I think you should think of the masses on this. I didn't like any of the appetizers we served at our cocktail hour, but I knew they were things the guests would like.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    You could have a dessert bar with cheese, fruit, and chocolate covered fruit as well as sweets.  You could do all mini things, like brownies, cheesecake bites, small cookies, etc.  
  • Options
    I'm not crazy about super-sugary desserts, but I do love cake, and while you don't have to have cake, it's sort of expected at a wedding (some sort of dessert at least).  A bride mentioned on another board that they are having the option of sliced plain cake (angel, pound and chocolate, I think) with fresh fruit sauces so guests could top their own.  You could do something like that or chocolate fondue with fresh fruit and pretzels, as well as bite-size cake, brownie and cookie pieces.

I also like the idea of a dessert bar including fruit, cheese, chocolate-dipped fruit and nuts.

You and FI don't have to cut/feed each other something, but you could feed each other a bite of fruit (a chocolate-dipped strawberry, for example).
  • Options
    I'd be bummed if you didn't have dessert - like pp said, it is a huge crowd pleaser.  I look forward to the dessert far more than the meal.  You don't have to have cake, but a dessert bar or something like that would be most welcome by your guests, I'm sure.  Remember, the reception is your thank you to them so you need to think about what they would like more than what you would like.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Cheese plates are popular these days.  Or an unfrosted cake?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cupcakes of various varieties

cheesecake

pies

ice cream sundae buffet
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I saw a couple on a wedding show (Four Weddings, I think?) do pizza, for the reasons you just listed.  They sliced it and fed each other a bit.

It just...seemed....goofy....that is the most charitable word I can think of. And I am a fan of people doing what feels right and what they please, i.e. my dress is blue.

How about you do something you two enjoy that you slice into (baked brie in a puff pastry), and then have a sweets table with fresh fruit, various cheeses, as well as sweeter 'sweets.'

Cream puffs built into a tower is the traditional French wedding dessert.  You could offer this, and have your puffs be filled with herbed, savory cheese and minced crabmeat....just be sure that the flavor and smell of the herbs and crab don't conflict with other people's sweet puffs. 

A really wonderful alternative to the above is a tower of French macarons, which can be made in flavors like rhubarb or carrot or roasted beet....but generally come in flavors more like salted caramel, pistachio, cherry, chocolate, vanilla, coconut, or rose water.  They are gorgeous and elegant (and pricy) but not any moreso than wedding cake pp.  They can also be ordered packed in advance as favors, with little ribbons, 2-5 (whatever) per box.  Try etsy for affordable macarons.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards