Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

only one dinner option?? what to do??!

I am thinking about only doing a chicken dish for our reception. I know it is not proper etiquette, but our venue charges $2 more dollars per plate to give our guests the option of picking and that'll add up very fast. The majority of my family is fine with it. The kids will get their own kid friendly dinner, but do you think the other guests will mind if they are only getting chicken. I feel like chicken is a pretty safe option (I dont know anyone in either of our families that are vegetarian either). Do you think this is a bad idea? Also, If I only do chicken do you think I should put something on the rsvp saying that the only option is chicken? I'm stuck.

Re: only one dinner option?? what to do??!

• edited December 2011
    I'm not liking the idea.... as a vegetarian. Do they have the option that vegetarians can choose a veggie meal? Sometimes venues will just offer vegetarians options on an as needed basis. Can you look into that?
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_only-one-dinner-option?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:ee7283c8-7357-45d3-a1c7-c60b17817940Post:5d43a117-0869-4149-98cf-55f3dbb940da">Re: only one dinner option?? what to do??!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not liking the idea.... as a vegetarian. Do they have the option that vegetarians can choose a veggie meal? Sometimes venues will just offer vegetarians options on an as needed basis. Can you look into that?
    Posted by sb9411[/QUOTE]

Understandable, but the OP said that she doesn't know of any vegetarians in her family. It is possible. There are none in mine.

OP - Chicken is definitely the safest bet and most generally liked. I have been to a wedding where the meal was prime rib with no option.
  • edited December 2011
    I personally don't really care for chicken so I would be disappointed that the only entree option for dinner was something that I don't like. I know you can't please everyone, but I really think you should offer another option.
  • edited December 2011
    I think if it's not in your budget to offer a second option, chicken is a safe bet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry! I didn't read that well enough. Chicken is a safe bet!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it will be fine :) not everyone will be happy but for two dollars more a person i would take that chance!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but our venue also doesn't provide an option for dinner.  They did however recommend that we do a dish with meat & chicken (I think typically it's an 8oz portion, so 4oz meat - like filet mignon - and 4oz chicken).  They do offer veggie options though, which is important.  Just because you don't know of any veggies doesn't mean there aren't any.  
  • edited December 2011
    We just had one dinner option at our wedding.  Our venue was able to provide a few vegetarian meals upon request at no extra charge.  I think chicken is fine to serve everyone, but I would check to see if your catere will make a few vegetarian plates just in case.
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe this is just me ... it probably is, since I don't think anyone else said this ... but if I was honored enough to get a wedding invite with a nice dinner reception, I wouldn't complain about what is essentially a "free" meal (as a guest).  I am providing an option for my guests, but we are doing a buffet-style dinner as opposed to a served plate.  Maybe that is an option for you, depending on the cost, of course.  Good luck! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    I would still ask your venue about the possibility of vegetarian entrees if needed.  There may be someone you don't know about that is vegetarian - in our case we had a teenager who had just stopped eating meat, and another guy's girlfriend (we'd never met her) was vegetarian.  I know that it's a 'free meal' and all, but if you can't eat enough to constitute a meal it really puts you in an awkward situation as a guest, because you want to leave. 

Also, I would list the meal somewhere, or let people know.  If it turns out that someone can't/won't eat it, they can plan ahead by eating a bigger lunch or bringing along a protein bar or something.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, guests, providing they're over the age of 8, should know how to deal with food they don't like. Honestly, my advice is choose the best dish, not necessarily the safest one. I think we've all been to a wedding an been served dry, bland chicken. That's not doing anyone a favour.

Ask your venue what they do to accomodate vegetarians!
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    What kind of chicklen is it?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_only-one-dinner-option?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:ee7283c8-7357-45d3-a1c7-c60b17817940Post:483e66aa-a4ce-45f3-83bd-a9fd3b1e173a">Re: only one dinner option?? what to do??!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: only one dinner option?? what to do??! : Understandable, but the OP said that she doesn't know of any vegetarians in her family. It is possible. There are none in mine. OP - Chicken is definitely the safest bet and most generally liked. I have been to a wedding where the meal was prime rib with no option.
    Posted by jerseydevil[/QUOTE]

I've been a guest at several weddings where I knew neither the bride nor groom, and therefore they wouldn't have known I was a vegetarian.

However, most venues will give you a vegetarian plate upon request. I would clarify that with the venue.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Besides vegetarians... you have to worry about diabetics, people with allergies, high cholesterol, people on fat free or low calorie diets, etc. Not to mention food likes and dislikes. Knowing that it's going to be "chicken" isn't enough because there are thousands of ways to prepare chicken. Your safest bet is to offer another option. I mean, you'll never be able to please everyone, but you might have a better chance of pleasing more people with a second option.
  • BeazillaBeazilla member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's fine to offer one option as long as you also offer a vegetarian option. Your venue may not count that as a 2nd choice because it's something that fewer people will ask for and hopefully they don't just do a plate of sides. Pick the meal you most want to eat.
  • edited December 2011
    I think offering just one option is fine. I was a vegetarian for years, and you quickly learn how to deal with meals that aren't "vegetarian." I ate a lot of side dishes, salads and sometimes an extra piece of cake ;)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice! My venu will provide a vegetarian meal if asked. So that is not an issue. I am still going to stick to only one meal option. SO for the chicken there are 4 differnt chicken meals. What do you think is the safer choice here? I am thinking chicken vesuvius. Because some people don't like blue cheese or the apricots or the other cheeses and etc...  What do you think?  What is the one you would pick?
    Now the choices: 
    1. apricot chili chicken- Sauteed marinated fresh chicken breast topped wit ha sweet apricot glaze served with calico rice and sugar snap peas
    2. chicken venchenzo- pan seared bone in  chicken breast topped with a creamy red grape sauce with a hint of blue cheese, served with capallini and roasted asparagus
    3. chicken roulade- fresh chicken breast suffed with prosciutto and provolone cheese wit ha tomato fondue sarved with au gratin poratoes, green bean, carrot and pepper meledy
    4. chicken vesuvius- saustee marinated chicken breast finished with garlic, fresh herb, lemon and chablis wine sauce. served with vesuvius potatoe wedges and roasted vegetables
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_only-one-dinner-option?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:ee7283c8-7357-45d3-a1c7-c60b17817940Post:f263e300-0e1d-426f-b7cb-ae581caff290">Re: only one dinner option?? what to do??!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Besides vegetarians... you have to worry about diabetics, people with allergies, high cholesterol, people on fat free or low calorie diets, etc. Not to mention food likes and dislikes. Knowing that it's going to be "chicken" isn't enough because there are thousands of ways to prepare chicken. Your safest bet is to offer another option. I mean, you'll never be able to please everyone, but you might have a better chance of pleasing more people with a second option.
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

I disagree with a lot of this.  I think it's the responsibility of the host to worry about dietary restrictions, but not personal preference and diets.  As long as the caterer is willing to provide vegetarian meals and other options for people with allergies, I think having one option is reasonable, especially since the bride is trying to please as many people as possible by choosing chicken. 

Having two options doesn't really make it more likely that all of the picky eaters will be happy, and I don't know that I've ever seen a fat free or low calorie catered meal.  I would definitely be more specific than just 'chicken' when letting people know what the meal is so they can plan accordingly.
  • edited December 2011
    We must have been posting at the same time.  Given those four options, I agree that the Vesuvius is the most versatile.
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I think all of the options except for #2 sound great (it's the grapes that throw me - I love blue cheese).  But the vesuvious sounds the most versatile.  I'd still prefer more of a choice, though, as a guest.

Those of us with dietary restrictions learn how to operate in the real world and how to take our medical issues into account.  We can figure it out.  I agree, though, that as much information as you can give to your guests is best.I've been in the situation where I didn't have all the information on a meal, and ended up not being able to eat what was served. It was just really awkward for me and the host, and I'd want to save my guests from that.  It put me in the situation where I had to leave early to get a meal (diabetic and can't skip a meal), and had I known I would have planned ahead to keep that from happening.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd be all about any of them, but I especially like #1 and #2. But seriously, which one tastes best?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_only-one-dinner-option?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:ee7283c8-7357-45d3-a1c7-c60b17817940Post:2e35d998-e522-40de-bda8-1cb737e9ce43">Re: only one dinner option?? what to do??!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: only one dinner option?? what to do??! : I disagree with a lot of this.  I think it's the responsibility of the host to worry about dietary restrictions, but not personal preference and diets.  As long as the caterer is willing to provide vegetarian meals and other options for people with allergies, I think having one option is reasonable, especially since the bride is trying to please as many people as possible by choosing chicken.  Having two options doesn't really make it more likely that all of the picky eaters will be happy, and I don't know that I've ever seen a fat free or low calorie catered meal.  I would definitely be more specific than just 'chicken' when letting people know what the meal is so they can plan accordingly.
    Posted by LauraT25[/QUOTE]

Ditto ALL of this. You are under no obligation to cater to picky eaters. That's their problem, not yours.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that the Vesuvius is probably the most appealing to a wide audience. If I wasn't a vegetarian, I'd eat any of them, though. I'm not picky at all.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    If the chicken options are what's in your budget, I would stick with that. That is mainly what I'm looking for in the venues that I'm taking into consideration. You can't please everyone and unless its within your budget stick with what you have planned. Trust me, your guests will live another day if they only have one choice. One option that you may want to take a look at is family-style options. I believe most places allow you to choose two different entrees and its usually around the price of the poultry options. You already have enough to worry about! Don't let this be one of them, afterall your wedding is to celebrate your marriage so enjoy it all and don't stress the little things.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks micpie!  My venue does not offer family style, so that is why we are only having one choice. Thanks for the advice!
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would like option #4.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards