Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Is This Enough?

First post, please go easy on me ladies! 

Some info: 
The wedding will be in July. Ceremony at 6:30, reception at 7:00. At the VERY MOST 200 guests.

Here's our ideas: 
- Make-your-own sundae bar. Lots of toppings and a couple flavors available.
- Hiring a local coffee shop (a favorite hangout of ours) to do a very customizable coffee/tea bar with a barista.
- The normal lemonade, water, etc. available.

We'll have a small cake to cut, but we don't have anything in mind other than what's listed.
It's going to be a very casual, party-like atmosphere. We like the non-traditional idea of ice cream instead of cake. 
And we thought we could cut back on costs if we did the wedding after normal dinner time and just offered dessert. Is 6:30 still too early for that?

Is this enough? Would you be dissapointed if you were a guest? 
I would love some suggestions girls! Thanks. :)

Re: Is This Enough?

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2012

You definitely need to start later.  Think about it.....your ceremony is at 6:30.  Guests will probably start arriving at 6pm.  They may have left their house at 5-5:30 depending on travel time.  They probably started getting ready between 4-4:30.  No one is going to eat beforehand and everyone will expect dinner.

If you can't bump it back to 8, then you'll need to serve heavy apps that equal a meal OR a traditional buffet or plated meal.

• edited August 2012
    I like what you have, but I agree with PPs that it needs to be later--start at 8 pm.  I would also have some non-sweet food for people that don't eat sweets or want something a little bit more, regardless of the timing--something like fruit, cheese, and crackers or veggies and dip.  

ETA: I also think it would be a little weird as a guest not to have any solid food.  Can you add some bite-size desserts, so that people an have a small brownie or mini-cheesecake with their sundaes?
  • You definitely should start later because that's still "dinner" time for many people. I'd move it to 8pm or after for a dessert reception.
  • I wouldn't be happy with this as a guest, unless I was pre-warned on an insert in your invitation package that a "dessert and coffee reception" will follow the ceremony.

If you don't mention it at all, I'd probably be expecting heavy passed appetizers at the very least...and certainly some booze!!!

• Also, I'm never a fan of having a cake for you to cut without offering it to your guests.  It's fine not to have cake, but if you're going to cut one, I think people will expect to be served cake.
  • I think you should do the ceremony at 8, reception at 8:30. It might also be a good idea to specify that a coffee & desert bar will follow. Most people SHOULD know that it won't be a full-on dinner at 8:30, but just to be safe, I'd indicate it on the invite. Sounds delicious! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you for all of the advice! 

- I think we will definitely move the wedding to later in the evening. 
    - Veggies and fruit will be added. And hopefully brownies and cheese cake! Sounds delish.
    - There will be "dessert and dancing to follow" in the invitation.
    - And maybe we'll cut into a brownie, now that those are on the list? (We love brownies...)

Anyway, thanks again, girls! You were super helpful.
  • Who drinks coffee at 8pm?  I'd skip that part.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_is-this-enough-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:fa81685a-e0b8-472b-b248-d1366a70f9c4Post:1026cb6c-0558-4476-a5ad-05195fef1cbb">Re: Is This Enough?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who drinks coffee at 8pm?  I'd skip that part.
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

I do, and many others that I know personally drink coffee as well. It's pretty common to have coffee with dessert. I would just make sure to offer both regular and decaf. Not strange at all. Though we didn't have a coffee bar, it was available at the bar at our venue, and quite a few guests had a cup with their cake later in the evening.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Glad to hear people liked the option. My own mother is a decaf drinker, so that's a great idea. Haha! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards