Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Recipes please!

We're hosting our House Warming/Engagement party in two weeks.  We bought our house in November and got engaged in February.  We wanted nice weather, and a chance to get the house really nice looking before we had extended family over.  I'm really excited to host a big family gathering for the first time because I am a first time home owner.  Everyone that has RSVPed offered to bring a dish.  I was really excited to do all the food myself, but it's fine that people want to bring things.  However, since this is my first time hosting, I would like to make something that will stand out.  We're supplying meat for the BBQ and I'm making bride and groom cake pops.  But I would like to make an appetizer or something that will wow everyone.  Any ideas ladies?

Anniversary wedding-1 my read shelf:
Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Recipes please!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_recipes-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:fadf20ae-4f9b-4150-9967-141a4e540b42Post:d09de311-9de6-40dc-9106-fd05ae355b7c">Recipes please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're hosting our House Warming/Engagement party in two weeks.  We bought our house in November and got engaged in February.  We wanted nice weather, and a chance to get the house really nice looking before we had extended family over.  I'm really excited to host a big family gathering for the first time because I am a first time home owner.  Everyone that has RSVPed offered to bring a dish.  I was really excited to do all the food myself, but it's fine that people want to bring things.  However, since this is my first time hosting, I would like to make something that will stand out.  We're supplying meat for the BBQ and I'm making bride and groom cake pops.  But I would like to make an appetizer or something that will wow everyone.  Any ideas ladies?
    Posted by Seipel12[/QUOTE]

FYI - just call it a housewarming.  You should never host your own engagement party.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    A lot depends on the number of people, and what the other people are bringing. You also don't say what meat you are doing on the BBQ.

A somewhat easy and inexpensive app is pita or flour tortilla rollups. You can fill them with anything you think people will like, and roll them up and cut them into finger sized portions. You generally want a "binder" ingredient like a soft cheese or cheese spread to hold the inside rolled up parts of the tortilla or pita together. Something like a soft goat cheese with bacon, lettuce & tomato for instance.

Another easy recipe is bruschetta, which is simply Italian or French bread, cut into 1/4" to 1/2" wedges, then toasted. You put a thin slice of mozzarella on top,  and put chopped tomatoes mixed with garlic, onion and itialian seasonings on top of that.

To be honest, I have TONS of cook books (I am with cook books the way some women are with shoes), and while I know most of the recipes in them, I usually just go to www.foodnetwork.com and search by main ingredient to find something. You could search by "appetizers" and a main ingredient you want to include (ie a type of meat, or cheese), then sort through what comes up. I'm sure there are instructions for the bruschetta on there.

Good luck.
  • Options
    goatlady12goatlady12 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_recipes-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:fadf20ae-4f9b-4150-9967-141a4e540b42Post:5fa047f3-a225-4115-a269-fb19f9262fb7">Re: Recipes please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]A lot depends on the number of people, and what the other people are bringing. You also don't say what meat you are doing on the BBQ. A somewhat easy and inexpensive app is pita or flour tortilla rollups. You can fill them with anything you think people will like, and roll them up and cut them into finger sized portions. You generally want a "binder" ingredient like a soft cheese or cheese spread to hold the inside rolled up parts of the tortilla or pita together. Something like a soft goat cheese with bacon, lettuce & tomato for instance. Another easy recipe is bruschetta, which is simply Italian or French bread, cut into 1/4" to 1/2" wedges, then toasted. You put a thin slice of mozzarella on top,  and put chopped tomatoes mixed with garlic, onion and itialian seasonings on top of that. To be honest, I have TONS of cook books (I am with cook books the way some women are with shoes), and while I know most of the recipes in them, I usually just go to <a href="http://www.foodnetwork.com" rel="nofollow">www.foodnetwork.com</a> and search by main ingredient to find something. You could search by "appetizers" and a main ingredient you want to include (ie a type of meat, or cheese), then sort through what comes up. I'm sure there are instructions for the bruschetta on there. Good luck.
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

The cool thing is that I grew up on a goat farm and make my own cheese all the time.  All I do is soft cheese so that's perfect!  If you ever want a soft goat cheese recipe, it's super easy and I would more than happy to share!
    Anniversary wedding-1 my read shelf:
    Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_recipes-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:fadf20ae-4f9b-4150-9967-141a4e540b42Post:43626ca8-19e1-40fa-84e4-6077d575498c">Re: Recipes please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recipes please! : The cool thing is that I grew up on a goat farm and make my own cheese all the time.  All I do is soft cheese so that's perfect!  I<strong>f you ever want a soft goat cheese recipe, it's super easy and I would more than happy to share!</strong>
    Posted by Seipel12[/QUOTE]

<div>Uh, yes please!?  Tell me how to make my own goat cheese! Pretty, pretty please?!?  I had no idea that was something that "lay people" could do!</div><div>
    </div><div>Oh, and OP, ditto on the not calling it an E party.  You're not supposed to throw those for yourself (so I'd probably make the cake pops non-weddingy).</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards