Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Keeping the cake from melting???

So my wedding is the end of Aug. and we are having the reception where there is no air conditioning. The reception will be starting around 5pm, so it will not be the hottest part of the day, but I am still worried about the cake.  Any ideas on what I can do to keep the cake from melting?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Keeping the cake from melting???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Have it covered in fondant? I think thats supposed to be better in the heat than buttercream but it is more expensive and some people may not care for the taste. Is there a refrigerator you can keep it in until its time to cut it?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    *May10Mrs**May10Mrs* member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Tara, the fondant does not melt as quickly as a buttercream would. I like the idea of a refridgerator until it is time to cut, or bring it out 15 minutes before so everyone can see it before they dig in:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How hot/humid is it going to get in your area? We had my cake outside at the end of August (in Hawai'i) and my baker recommended buttercream not fondant because of the humidity. Now, we only had it on display for about an hour/hour and a half or so, but it was perfect throughout that hour.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fondant is better...make sure you keep it somewhere cool before sitting it out...fondant as well as buttercream will get that sweaty look determined by how long its out...so try not to use dark colors or really bright ones...maybe keep it white with little accents or flowers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've heard the opposite about fondant... that it will 'sweat' if it's too cold
    murrayed
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest asking the baker to not deliver it until closer to the beginning of the reception. 

I don't know anything about buttercream vs. fondant melting, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my parents had an august wedding (in virginia-- but we have family in arkansas, so i know how much worse the end of summer is down there!!!) and their cake started melting, i've heard the horror stories, my mom and her sister who made the cake were devistated...so i would agree with no having it delieverd if possible until close to the reception...or, wait til your about to cut it, let it have a "grand entrance" so to speak. best of luck!
  • Options
    erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Best bet is to ask a couple of different backers (including your own) about it. Most likely they know how to handle such a situation. Such as bring the cake out/ deliver it part way through the reception. They would also know how well butter cream holds up vs fondant.

Let us know what you find out and decide on. I think anyone who is haveing an outside wedding may be curious about this topic. I know I am.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    wedding cakes are my speciality.
    there are a few options. as most that everyone has said....keeping the cake in a cooler place until about an hour before the cutting is a good idea. sometimes it makes it a little difficult to bring the cake out through all the people.
    you can also have a false cake on display at all times. the buttercream/fondant is still real, but its styrofoam underneath. your baker can make sheet cakes to keep in the back, which get cut in the back...and brought out to guests when youre ready. this is probably your best bet--and can also help with cost.
    if you choose buttercream-be sure that your baker's buttercream has a higher shortening content then actual butter. shoretning holds up better. fondant can still get real sticky...and there is always a layer of buttercream under fondant.
  • Options
    ccenter1ccenter1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dont refrigerate a fondant cake. Just have your baker deliver the cake as close to the reception time as possible. If it sits outside for an hour it wont melt unless its 100 degrees where you live.  But yes make sure the buttercream underneath the fondant is made with shortening not butter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards