Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Healthier Mexican food?

My fiance and I are planning a wedding to celebrate our ethnicities. So to pay homage to my "inherited ethnicity" (I was adopted into a Mexican family) we are wanting to have Mexican food. 

However, I would like to have some lighter healthier versions of Mexican/Latin foods. So far the only thing we have agreed to is fruit salsa with cinnamon chips. My fiance wants tacos but I think we could do better than that for such a special occasion. 

Does anyone know of any other recipes? We are going to have a caterer but I would like to test out some recipes ourselves. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Healthier Mexican food?

• Options
    What about fajitas? 
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • Options
    Nopales (cactus paddle), which can be used on a salad or a filling for sopas, tacos, etc.

Ceviche, which is very fresh and light.

Google Rick Bayless and check out his recipes. He has some lighter, more modern stuff, but his restaurant, Frontera Grill, is known for being really delicious and authentic.

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    The idea of fajitas made me hungry. lol 

We looked up some of Rick Bayless' recipes and found a few we might try. However, it looked like some of his recipes are quite spicy. 

I forgot to mention that we need to keep some food kid friendly. I have two children and there are many little ones in his family. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe quesadillas?  Yes, they have cheese in them, but they can be baked, rather than fried, are kid friendly, and can be filled with lean meat and grilled veggies.  Taquitos can be baked instead of frying.  I also like the fajita idea.

If there are some traditional favorites that just can't be lightened up without losing the "essence", consider using them as appetizers -- a bite-size version for the flavor and experience vs. a whole plate full.
  • Options
    Cheese or chicken enchiladas, chiles rellenos, Mexican or Spanish rice, different kinds of beans, nopalitos (cactus salad), fajitas, nachos, carnitas, tamales, carne asada, chili verde.  I love Mexican soups - albondigas, posole, tortilla soup.  You can make most Mexican food a bit healthier through choice of ingredients (e.g. not using lard).

• Options
    I talked about it with FH and we do like the idea of maybe an interactive quesadilla stand/area, where guests can have a fresh quesadilla made with fillings and toppings of their choice. I think the kids would also love it, I know mine would! lol 

We are still debating on sides and possible main dishes. (FH still wants tacos lol) 

Personally, I would love to see a shrimp dish. I was thinking shrimp skewers or kabobs? *shrug*

I'm just wondering what type of other options we could have if someone doesn't like Mexican? I know a lot of weddings have a fish or vegetarian option but I'd like for it to flow with the Mexican food theme as well. I was thinking a salad would be a nice light option. I'm doing some searching on the internet, but if any of you have ideas or suggestions they are appreciated!

Thank you to the ladies who have replied so far! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A lot of the food that PPs mentioned is vegetarian-friendly if you make sure the rice and beans do not have any lard, chicken stock, or other animal products.  

If you want to have a fish offering, fish tacos would be good.  

I think you can have options for people that don't like Mexican food by making sure you have plainer options, like simple grilled chicken in addition to anything that has spices or flavorings.  That way someone could still have plain rice, grilled chicken, salad, and whatever veggies you had for fajitas or tacos.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_healthier-mexican-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:fde39489-6447-4793-a1ff-ace76e2bf7d8Post:4db25988-38df-43c3-9139-14f896208e20">Re: Healthier Mexican food?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I talked about it with FH and we do like the idea of maybe an interactive quesadilla stand/area, where guests can have a fresh quesadilla made with fillings and toppings of their choice. I think the kids would also love it, I know mine would! lol  We are still debating on sides and possible main dishes. (<strong>FH still wants tacos lol</strong>) <strong> Personally, I would love to see a shrimp dish.</strong> I was thinking shrimp skewers or kabobs? *shrug* I'm just wondering what type of other options we could have <strong>if someone doesn't like Mexican</strong>? I know a lot of weddings have <strong>a fish or vegetarian option</strong> but I'd like for it to flow with the Mexican food theme as well. I was thinking <strong>a salad would be a nice light option</strong>. I'm doing some searching on the internet, but if any of you have ideas or suggestions they are appreciated! Thank you to the ladies who have replied so far! 
    Posted by cbrenner2488[/QUOTE]

Love the interactive quesadilla station! 

For the bolded parts, you could offer skewers of grilled shrimp, chicken, steak and maybe a firm white fish.  Keep the seasoning on these pretty neutral, and then have a display of  cheeses, seasoned rice, lettuce, tomato, avocado, salsas, sour cream, grilled fajita veggies and small flour and corn tortillas.  It would be, in essence, a make-your-own soft taco (or fajita) station (which your FI should like) with shrimp (for you), and because it's "deconstructed" guests can choose what they want and avoid what  they don't care for. 

I definitely agree with your salad idea, and consider a quinoa-corn-and-beans dish.  Then you have a solid vegetarian/vegan main dish (as long as no animal broth is in the quinoa), and guests could top the quinoa with veggies, salsa, etc. from the taco station.  If you had some tortillas that were made with a vegetable fat, rather than lard, that should work for a vegetarian/vegan guest as well.

With this arrangement, someone who isn't crazy about Mexican food could get skewers of "normal" non-spicy meat, rice, salad and veggies.
  • Options
    I Love mexican food and would love to come to your wedding.  Yum.  You could do burritos for the vegetarians.  I love enchiladas.  Those could be veg too, but I love mine with shredded beef.  Beans and rice, yum.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards