Virginia
Options

One Time Officiant

Hi, I've been searching online like a madwoman, I have discovered that in some states people can apply to be a one time officiant for a wedding. However, while I can find this info for several states, I cannot for the life of me find anything about it for Virginia. Does anyone know anything about this, how does it work, and is it something that can be done in VA?

Re: One Time Officiant

• Options
    lily1346lily1346 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can do the one-time thing in VA.  You can either become a marriage celebrant or you can become an ordained minister and show proof that you're associated with a congregation.

I called the City Clerk's office in NN about this a few weeks ago because I wanted my stepdad to officiate our wedding, and it turned out the best option would be for us to just get officially married in the clerk's office by a celebrant before the wedding and then just have whoever we want officiate, rather than have him go through the steps to become a legal officiant.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lizzi97lizzi97 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it may depend on the count. I'm getting married in Nelson Co, and there you can make someone a one time officiant. You just need a property owner in that county to show up and post a $500 bond at the county court.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards