Virginia
Options

Plus Size Wedding Dresses in Roanoke

Besides Davidson, where can I go to try on plus size wedding dresses near Roanoke?  Would be willing to go about 2 hours from Roanoke for a really good place with lots of inventory (size 18-20).  I'm also concerned with price - would like to pay less than $300 if possible.  I don't care about designer labels.

Re: Plus Size Wedding Dresses in Roanoke

• Options
    polelenepolelene member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know what sizes they carry, but I got my dress at Celebration, in Lynchburg. I know they had samples in a ton of different sizes (I'm a size 14, and I found the dress I wanted in my size there - I would have bought the sample if they'd given me a discount over ordering it). I know there were some sizes larger and smaller than mine there (and each size actually has a good variety). It might be worth at least calling them to look into it. My dress was around $700, but I don't have any idea what their other prices are like.Also in Lynchburg, the YWCA operates a charity bridal dress store called Church Street Bridal. Since everything is donated (but mostly donated by bridal salons, so they are generally brand-new, with tags), it's hit-or-miss. I noticed they had larger sizes too, and their prices are amazing (as you might expect). When I went (at the beginning of the year), the ones they had in my size weren't at all my style, but there were several other people there who seemed to have found exactly what they were looking for, so you might have better luck. Also, David's Bridal is an obvious choice for being able to try on something above a size 6 and to get a better deal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to have to 2nd Celebration, that is where I bought my gown.  I'm a plus sized bride and they had a terrific selection of samples in ALL sizes in lots of styles.  Plus the people there are fantastic, and the guy that does alterations there (Antonio) is a genius.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Celebration to anyone - heck the banquet coordinator that worked at my reception hall lives in Blacksburg and she came out to Celebration to get her gown.  Prices - well they carry the mid-range labels (think Maggie Sottero, Allure, Casablanca, Mori Lee, etc) but very few are going to be in the $300 range.  They were having a sample sale this past weekend, you could always call and see if that is still going on.  Church Street Bridal does have plus sized gowns, but the selection was limited.  However if you do happen to find something, no gown is above $350.  They are donated from salons across the country (Kleinfeld in NYC has even donated gowns!)  I saw gowns with price tags of $4K that Church Street Bridal was selling for $350.  It definitely could be worth a look!Other than that, for that price point, there's David's in Roanoke.  They should have plenty around your price.  They have a huge range of sizes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Of course, David's Bridal is in Roanoke, and they have gorgeous plus size gowns. I ordered mine from David's. I am paying quite a bit for mine, but they usually have pretty good sales if you keep looking.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a plus size bride and went to Celebrations but was disappointed with price range and the amount of dresses that they let me try on. The employee that I met at the bridal show I went to was awesome but the one I had in the store was inexperienced although she was very nice. The experience at Celebrations was a big bummer. I left that day and went to David's in Roanoke and found the most beautiful dress ever. They even have a great dress on-line for under $200 and lots of people have been giving it rave reviews. I think they are the best bet to find something in your budget range. You might also want to try Hidden Treasures which is a consignment shop on Brambleton in Roanoke. BTW my consultant at David's Bridal was Shirley and she definitely made it a woderful experience for me! Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards