Virginia
Options

FMIL

I have having issues with my future mother in law. I sent her pictures of my dress and she responded with "Its your day and you are the one that have to feel comfortable in it." I didn't take it as a positive comment and so I asked her what she meant by it and said that to me it sounded negative. She said that she didn't mean it that way, but I don't know how else someone could even take it. In defending herself she talked about how she likes longer trains and that you should never buy a dress without trying on a million and one, etc. etc. To me, she was still saying she didn't like the dress (which is irrelevant). My issue is that she has brought her son/my fiance into the mix and tried to make it a competition between she and I. I tried to deal with her directly and not in a hateful way at all. I was just asking what she meant by the comment. Now she's on the warpath and it's all my fault. I tried to call and apologize to her for taking her comment the wrong way, just to clear the air, but she keeps sending my fiance messages like, "Oh I see you haven't called me...must be taking up for your woman." I don't know why she's being so catty. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: FMIL

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Just get the dress you want and forget her.  She's being childish by trying to make it a 'sides' thing.  Let her be stupid.  If nobody responds to the way she's acting she'll realize how dumb it was.
  • Options
    name1109name1109 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You know I don't know her so I can't say but it sounds like she is trying to live vicariously through you...do what makes you happy. You can't make everyone happy, not to be mean but it's your day...not hers. If you love the dress, stick with what makes you happy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards