Virginia

Virginia Beach suggestions?

Hello!  We are going to be getting married in VA Beach in Spring or Summer 2012.  Most likely spring due to tourist season.  Anyways, trying to get suggestions!

My first thought was to have the reception at a beach house (and possibly the ceremony) but the capacity limits seem to prohibit this idea.  We are thinking of doing a sit down dinner (served plates) for family and close friends (around 150 people) and then open the dancing to everyone we know.  We swing dance, and I would love to have all the dancers be able to come and dance.  This will require a LARGE dance floor, so that the swing dancers can dance, and the other guests can also have room to dance.  I don't want the non-swing-dancers to feel crowded off the dance floor (thankfully my family is PRETTY adamant about getting their dance on at receptions LOL) All in all I would anticipate 200-250 for the most populated time of the evening.  I don't want just some hall- I would like somewhere that looks classy, preferably that doesn't clash with our intended colors (aqua and coral) and if possible has a nice view.  Menu is important, as I am a picky eater (picture your typical 8 year old) there will be many children attending, and a few vegetarians.  

My FH would like to have the ceremony on the beach.  I would like it to be off the sand but with a view of the water, whichever works out is fine, but I'd love to be able to have cover in case of rain.  This, too, seems difficult to find when we are looking at 150-200 people at the ceremony.  We do not want to have the ceremony at a church/chapel.

Right now we are just trying to get an idea of what our options will even be.  We have just started planning.  Any suggestions are welcome!

~Katy

Re: Virginia Beach suggestions?

• soccerella7soccerella7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    id recommend the yacht club at marina shores - pretty venue, at it would be away from the beach and tourists, but still a nice view and htey have really good packages that take all the work out of it!  Not sure how many they can accomodate though
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    marina shores max occupancy is 150...with that it'd be tight on the dance floor...fyi
  • edited December 2011
    ohhh thank you thank you!  It looks as though they are about to open a second, larger room that can hold up to 250 guests!  I haven't looked through much yet to see what it will offer in terms of a dance floor, or if the price is within budget but it's definitely something to look into!

~Katy
  • edited December 2011
    Check out the Contemporary Art Center of VA! Their pics of weddings look GORGEOUS and they look like they can accommodate a lot of people! And I don't think it's too far from the beach so if you want to have your ceremony on the beach it's do-able :)

http://www.cacv.org/facility/index.asp
    September 2011 December Siggy: First Kiss
    imagePregnancy Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Blog!
  • edited December 2011
    Look into the Lesner Inn, it is beautiful!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Lesner Inn at this point I think would be our first choice, I'm just not happy with the menus they have on their website- actually I love their stations menu, but we are firmly set on a plated meal... and am not sure what the costs are for the bar service there.  We will have to go check it out and ask them a whole lot of questions for sure!

~Katy
  • Kimness17Kimness17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also recommend the Lesner Inn - it's beautiful and the food tastes great. They can also set up a bar inside and one outside on the deck too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards