Virginia

Need HELP finding venues without red carpet and decent food and beverage miniumums

As a newly engaged teacher, during this time of year, the weekends are my only times to really plan for our wedding.  Fortunately, we have decided on a July 2012 date so we have a good amount of time to find the perfect place.  We are looking for something in the Hampton Roads area that would fit a beach themed wedding.  We went to the Lesner Inn, but found out they had a $9000 food and beverage minimum!  Shifting Sands, although on a base, has a $5000 minimun! As a teacher, and with this economy, this is completely out of our budget.  I have been searching for venues that let you bring in your own catering/food, but haven't found anything worth booking yet. 

In addition to finding a reception venue, we are in need of a ceremony venue as well so anything that could double as a ceremony and reception venue would be ideal.  I have no problem getting married in a church, it just MUST have a center aisle and absolutely can NOT have red carpeting!!  PLEASE HELP!!!  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Need HELP finding venues without red carpet and decent food and beverage miniumums

• edited December 2011
    I sent you a Private Message
  • mrsguaklinmrsguaklin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Waterman's at the oceanfront! I had a good friend use that as her reception location and she said it was way more reasonable than she had thought!
  • edited December 2011
    Waterman's is great- but it's a small venue.  We're having our rehearsal dinner there.  We're going to have about 60 people and this will not include a dance floor area.  Keep in mind the place is small!  It's gorgeous though for a small wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    How many people are you looking at? Check out the Spirit of Norfolk! They can hold up to 410 people, or as little as 30-60. They have 2 decks, one hold 166 and the other holds 244, so if you wanted to just do it on one of those decks, you could. They also have a 3rd deck that's outside where people usually get married! It is GORGEOUS on the Elizabeth River and there are no price minimums! 
    When they quote you a price, it may seem a little hefty. Just remember that they are all-inclusive and the price includes food, DJ/entertainment, tables, chairs, a bar/bartender, and a 2-3 hour cruise! hope this helps :) i am a part-time onboard wedding coordinator there, and they really do BEAUTIFUL weddings!! :)
    September 2011 December Siggy: First Kiss
    imagePregnancy Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Blog!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_virginia_need-finding-venues-red-carpet-decent-food-beverage-miniumums?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:236Discussion:6a00a1f4-3a06-42d1-88a0-d301134eba40Post:9df620aa-e1c1-49f1-ba33-3bdc4181d4eb">Re: Need HELP finding venues without red carpet and decent food and beverage miniumums</a>:
    [QUOTE]Try Waterman's at the oceanfront! I had a good friend use that as her reception location and she said it was way more reasonable than she had thought![/QUOTE]

Wow.  This is a lot cheaper than the other places I've been looking at.  Will be giving them a call. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards