Virginia
Options

Farm Fresh Catering

Has anyone used Farm Fresh Catering, Fresh Events or whatever its called?  Madeline Smith is running it. I am a little uncomfortable that they don't use contracts, and would like to know if anyone has experience with them, or opinions. 

Re: Farm Fresh Catering

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We were originally going with Fresh Events...  But they just didn't have all of the options we needed.  Also, I think they only mentioned using plastic plates, forks, etc. 

Is your wedding in VA Beach?

Black Angus was recommended to us and that's who we went with.  They sent us an outline or generic contract and we were able to personalize it how we wanted (including adding a warm beverage cocktail hour.) Also, the lady that we're working with is amazing.  She always e-mails me back within 24 hours anytime I have a question.  I've even had to do part of the work from Hawaii, since we moved here almost 2 months ago, and she's been very accommodating.

Of course, the wedding's not for a few weeks...  That's the real test.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My main worry is that my food/bar budget is $1,500. I don't mind the plastic plates, everyone knows we are on a small budget.  Our wedding isn't until next October so we have time to consider.  I mostly don't trust the no contract issue, and she keeps adding on costs.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely not trust that, either.  I have a friend of mine who I've worked with many times doing my photography and we have a contract.  He modified it a little bit to suit my needs, but it was all in writing.  I talked to him the other day and he forgot a few vital details, but I have proof with both of our signatures on it.

That's what is the most important.  You need everything in writing to protect yourself and your finances.  I would still research a few other caterers, tell them up front what your budget is and see how they can work with you.  Have them send you some form of documentation of ALL the expenses (some places say $24 per guest, but that's only for the food, not labor.  Which can jump it up to around $55 per guest.)   Also, if you have children attending, do a separate count for them because you might be able to get a discounted price on them.

We got our own ABC License for the alcohol, but some venues require you to have a licensed bartender, which is another catering expense.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another thing to consider is gratuity.  That won't be added in to the final contract...  Some places may be able to calculate it and add it into the final price for you.

I hope this helps!  I was lucky enough to have a lot of help from my vendors.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the advice guys. I am going to request a contract from  her and if she doesnt deliver seek out an alternative.  Any suggestions for inexpensive catering that also offer bartending services? We are looking at a cash bar, though we are not completely set on serving alcohol, we may go dry if we can't find something that fits.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't really have any recommendations, as far as who to look into.  Have you tried looking on www.weddingwire.com?  They seem to have more vendors listed than TheKnot...  Also, if you visit a website, it will probably only have the price for food listed.  I made that mistake of assuming that that was all I needed to worry about.  So, if you find something you like, remember to ask them how much it costs with labor, bartending, etc.  You could try asking your venue and other vendors for recommendations, as well.

You mentioned your wedding was in October?  Will it be on a weekend?  If you can make it a weekday, that's your best bet for saving money.  Almost everyone will give you a discount.  We saved like half on the venue than if we would've picked a Saturday.  The next best thing is keeping your guest list short.

If you can find other ways to save, maybe you can splurge a little more on the catering.  Unless someone else is paying for it, that is.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards