Virginia

done with rude vendors...need new ideas

Hi and congrats to all!  I am sure you all know how stressful wedding planning can be and when you are working on a limited budget you are even more stressed.  This past year my daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer and I spent the year praying and paying.  My fiance and I happily paid her bills and took care of her autistic son while she underwent surgeries and treatments.  Fortunately she is on the road to recovery.  Unfortunately our funds are very limited for the wedding.  It is not my first wedding but it is my fiance's.  I realize most vendors prefer to deal with brides with higher budgets but I am really disgusted right now with the rude attitudes I am encountering.    Enough venting.....I would LOVE some wedding ceremony and reception venue ideas that are maybe a bit out of the ordinary.  Thanks so much.

Re: done with rude vendors...need new ideas

• edited December 2011
    Hi and congrats to all!  I am sure you all know how stressful wedding planning can be and when you are working on a limited budget you are even more stressed.  This past year my daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer and I spent the year praying and paying.  My fiance and I happily paid her bills and took care of her autistic son while she underwent surgeries and treatments.  Fortunately she is on the road to recovery.  Unfortunately our funds are very limited for the wedding.  It is not my first wedding but it is my fiance's.  I realize most vendors prefer to deal with brides with higher budgets but I am really disgusted right now with the rude attitudes I am encountering.    Enough venting.....I would LOVE some wedding ceremony and reception venue ideas that are maybe a bit out of the ordinary.  Thanks so much.
  • Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Try posting on the Virginia boards since this is an int'l board.  You should receive a lot more venue specific help that way.  Local boards are in the blue column on the left.  GL and congrats both on your upcoming wedding and yoru daughter's recovery.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried looking at some atypical vendor choices? If you stay away from the vendors that are usually "wedding" caterers/florists/venues etc. you may be able to find people who are easier to work with. I know how you feel because we had to wade through some very unhelpful people before we found things that would work for us. Good luck. 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    future hubby and I are getting married in a little church and then are holding our reception at a historic dance pavilion in an amusement park. The pavilion itself is absolutely gorgeous, and I love the quirky little amusement park. Also, I can't wait to get photos on the rides :)  we are allowed to do our own food without extra fees (although, beverages have to be purchased through the location). I would look outside the box for the perfect location.
  • edited December 2011
    What part of VA are you having your wedding?  I am in Hampton Roads and am renewing my vows in 2012. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the great suggestions.  We are in the Hampton Roads area.  Still looking....................   
  • edited December 2011
    What vendors are you looking for specifically? or just venue?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If you are looking for a venue, the VFW Post 3160 in Norfolk rents their hall for $530 for non-members.   You can have your own caterer and your own bartender/bar service.  It is a pretty hall, I am having my wedding there October 15th.  The Rental manager is very nice.  Let me know and I will get you her number if you are interested in looking at the place.  It looks like an old-fashioned dance hall like in old movies, with a dance floor in between the tables, which are behind posts with a lower cieling.  (Not a great description but as close as I can get)  There is a little bar area you can set up your bartender and a stage you can either put the DJ on or have the head table on.  Very cost efficient and pretty.  Big enough for about 200 or 250 people if I recall correctly (mine is about 75)

A&E DJs are great too, they have an apprentice that is starting to work on weddings whom you can get for a discount, and they are very concious of your budget, I needed to add on another hour and they gave me a discount on that as well to help out.  I love working with Anthony so far, I can't wait to see how the apprentice is at the wedding! 

Donne Avan Photography is a new, upcoming photographer, after my wedding she'll have done 6, and her largest package is about $750, and she will work with you to get you what you need and want for the price that is right.  She maneuvered her smaller, $600 package to take out the bridal portraits (which I dont need) so we could have a full 8 hours of coverage.  She is really nice and does photojournalistic style photos, but she will do some posed shots if you want. \

I hate my caterer, Farm Fresh: Fresh Events Catering, so I won't recommend her. She is horrible at being consistent with what services I'm getting at what price, doesn't do contracts and takes 3 weeks to answer my questions.  I can't get anyone else on my budget this late though.

I am also doing my own flowers, we are using silk due to severe allergies (on both my and my fiance's part!) 
    That is all I have!  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips. 

Since my post I have talked with and met with some very nice people who don't think a wedding for 50 people needs to be $10,000 and up.  The Suffolk Center for the Arts is so gorgeous and reasonably priced!  However, it didn't fit my needs since they don't allow candles and they are a must for me.   I can't say enough good things about Gidi Gourmet catering.  They are wonderful and will work with you.   Thank you for the photographer  and DJ tips.  I have narrowed my choices to the New Kent Winery (beautiful location and not expensive, although a long drive after a night of drinks and food) and the Church Point Manor....just waiting on a few details to decide.   Once the decision is made I will tackle the task of finding a wedding dress that fits a plus size woman that I can add sleeves to that doesn't look like a ball gown. 

thanks again!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards