Virginia

Virginia Beach Marriage Commissioners??

Hey guys,

I'm getting married in October at the Contemporarty Arts Center in VA Beach. My fiance and I don't subscribe to any religion, but we still want our "civil" ceremony to be full of kind words, readings, and traditions, just without any references to a particular relgion. Does any one know of a good person to marry us? Personal references?

Thanks!!

Jen

Re: Virginia Beach Marriage Commissioners??

• vbbride2010vbbride2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you could always just have someone near and dear to you get ordained online... that is what we're doing... makes it pretty special and you/they can come up with whatever sort of ceremony you want!
  • edited December 2011
    That is a good idea. I looked it up online and it looks like VA requires more than just ordainment?

"Be aware of the laws in your state. Most states make it very simple for any ordained clergy to perform weddings, but a few will require you to file a copy of your certificate of ordination, register your name and address with the state or county, and/or present a copy of your credentials. Arkansas, Delaware, Louisiana, Oklahoma, New York City (only NYC, not the state of New York) and Virginia are states in which require this"

http://www.ehow.com/how_2311026_obtain-ministers-license.html
  • vbbride2010vbbride2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, our friend just has to file it with the city. :) Sorry, should have said that!
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, we had friends that got married on the beach and had a friend get ordained only to find out he couldn't do it... so they had chaplain from the base come out and do the very first part of the ceremony and their friend did their vow and told them to kiss and the chaplain pronouced them.  It was great.
  • ilovedpkilovedpk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married in Virginia Beach in October too, we are using Frankee Love, and so far we are really impressed with her. Here is her website, www.beachweddingsvirginia.com. Hope this helps!!
  • edited December 2011
    Try Christian Contemporary Weddings. I think you will be pleased. They create ceremonies for the couple that wants a civil feel with some special readings included. www.ccwed.net
  • jbuck429jbuck429 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as having a friend get ordained to do the ceremony, I was looking into that, but it seems that they have to be ordained AND have a congregation. If anyone knows about this for sure, it would be good to know.

Thanks to those of you who shared your suggestions too. We're on the hunt for someone to marry us too.
  • edited December 2011
    I saw on the Virginia Beach website that the friend who is ordained must provide

"the Clerk of Circuit Court proof of his ordination and of his being in regular communion with the religious society of which he was ordained. This must be in writing by the senior pastor of the church the minister is affiliated with."

I imagine if you get ordained online, you aren't in regular communion with any congregation, its probably pretty difficult to get a written letter from the senior pastor of an online organization.

On another note, I found out that people commissioned by the city to marry people can charge only $70 per ceremony (another $70 if you have them come to your rehersal). It is a fee mandated by the city/state. There is a list of marriage commissioners (aka justice of the peace) on the VA Beach Courts website.

I think I'm going to go with Marriage Commissioner Harold McGee. He has a ceremony he usually does, but he said I could meet with him to customize vows/reading passages. Hopefully I'm not charged another $70 for that session!!
  • edited December 2011
    al sokollk....he's a marriage commisioner w/ the city of vb. i've shot many weddings that's he's handled and he's wonderful. he can make it as long or as short as you like. he speaks very well and he's one of the nicest guys on the planet.
    best wishes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards