Virginia
Options

Destination Wedding Virgina Beach?

My FH and I are looking into a destination wedding for apx 30 people in July 2012.
Our first vacation together was to VA beach and we love the thought of getting married there. We are from upstate NY and would prefer an "all inclusive" package. I've done some research online and found several companies that offer what we're looking for, but its hard to tell them apart anyone have any recommendations?? We want as intimate and private of a wedding as possible ( I know VA beach is NOT private esp. in July but maybe they know a less popular beach near-by or an area less appealing for swimming?) Also considering a beach house reception/ accommodations for our guests? Anyone in the same boat or have any suggestions or know a great trustworthy wedding planner in the area? Feeling a little overwhelmed.. :/

Re: Destination Wedding Virgina Beach?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sandbridge is less crowded than the oceanfront, so renting a house there could be a great idea, although I think only certain houses allow weddings.

We had our wedding at the Barclay Towers at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. They have two banquet rooms, so we had the ceremony in the smaller room and then the reception in the larger room. Both banquet rooms have a big window wall that faces the ocean and there is a patio as well.

They take care of the table set up and will put on any linens that you have. They do their own catering and it was delicious and affordable!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi! We are doing the destination wedding in Virginia Beach too! Same story, it was our first vacation together in 1999 and we love it down there! We're from the Poconos in PA and I'm planning everything from here for our wedding in May 2012. We're renting an oceanfront home in Sandbridge (if you've never visited Sandbridge, you have to, it's clean, private and beautiful) We're doing the ceremony on the beach and the reception around the pool at the home. It's alot of planning, but it's alot more personal than the resort packages (although sometimes I do think that would be easier!) If you want to take a look at the houses try Sandbridge Realty or Siebert Realty (we are using Sandbridge) you can go to the weddings and special events page on their websites and see the houses that allow weddings. We went down in May and checked out most of them, they are gorgeous houses! 
  • Options
    fiestyjfiestyj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am completely in the same boat! I been considering a hotel a hotel on the beach but I'm trying to stay on a tight budget. I don't think we could do a rental WAY to much planning! Hopefully you will have more luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow thanks I'll definitly check that out! How are you planning the ceremony without a planner? I would love to have a more personalized wedding I dont mind the extra hassle at all but worry its just too ambitious. I wouldnt know where to start, & do you need a permit for the beach?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You don't need a permit for the beach in Sandbridge for a small ceremony, just in the resort areas. And you can bring out chairs and stuff for the ceremony as long as it can be carried onto the beach and doesn't need to be professionally set up (ex. a large tent).  We are doing a "no frills" ceremony, with a justice of the peace, so I didn't really need a planner. And my caterer is helping a lot with the reception by taking care of the rentals. The best part is, is that you have the house the whole week, an extra little honeymoon period if your guests won't be crashing on the couches! :) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ha yeah good point! We are taking a mini-vacation to VA beach next month, we made plans to visit with 2 realty companies that have special event beach homes in Sandbridge. We are also going to have some engagement pictures taken :)  Since the first post our guest list has grown to about 60 people and the date has moved to October (to make everything easier). Our photographer offered references for event planners if we needed them and I think we're going to take her up on that. I just don't want to worry or have to rely on friends/ family to set up decorations or chairs when we want everyone to be enjoying themselves instead. We decided this is definitely the route we want to take and its all getting very exciting! You'll have to keep me updated on your big day! Thanks so much for the advice!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good Luck! :) And have fun picking a house, you'll know which one is perfect once you see it in person, thats how we picked! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just got back from VA Beach, it was pretty hard to hop in the car to go home it is so beautiful! We looked at 5 siebert houses and 1 beach pro house, and loved all but 1! I wish they had a realtor who could take the time to show you more than 4 houses at once so you could really see all they had but I guess they would be pretty busy if they did that.  We have a lot of thinking to do, I am mostly worried about if it rains and we had to move it indoors, where would the ceremony be?... We had a blast and I cant wait to go back!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just got back from there this weekend! Took the trip down to meet with a couple vendors... I also didn't want to leave! I can't wait to go back in May! Check out the layout of the decks and porches on the houses, for your ceremony, if you had to cover it for the rain. Our's has a carport in the front, with a huge set of stairs, It's not the prettiest spot (in comparison to the beach), but if it rains, I think it would give us a great dry area, away from the food setup inside.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards