Virginia

Outdoor wedding ideas in Charlottesville,VA?

I have done some research online & all the outdoor wedding places in Charlottesville,VA are around $7,000 and they make you buy food from them you can't go where you want. Can someone tell me of some places cheaper than $7,000? I will be having 200 guests.

Re: Outdoor wedding ideas in Charlottesville,VA?

• edited December 2011
    I have done some research online & all the outdoor wedding places in Charlottesville,VA are around $7,000 and they make you buy food from them you can't go where you want. Can someone tell me of some places cheaper than $7,000? I will be having 200 guests.
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm probably getting married in Charlottesville as well, though we haven't set a date yet.  

We looked at venues last weekend -- there are a lot of really nice vineyards in the area.  I also really liked Ash Lawn Highland.  Most of the outdoor locations offer a pretty hefty discount for off-season weddings (though of course you take your chances with the weather).   There are also some neat parks in the area that might be worth looking into.

Are you from Cville, or just getting married there?   I grew up there, and I've been to a lot of weddings (indoors and out) around town, but I agree that the prices at a lot of places can be pretty steep...
    DSC_9275
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PP Gave some great advice, I'm going to move this to your local board. The ladies over there will be able to help you with places more than we will! Happy Planning!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    Not sure what it costs but I second Ash Lawn Highland as being a great place.  I went to a wedding there almost two years ago and it was absolutely beautiful.
  • CvilleClaireCvilleClaire member
    edited December 2011
    Check out the smaller vineyards (White Hall, Afton).  Some of the smaller inns would work, too (there's one in Scottsville that might work).  Shenandoah Crossing and other venues in Madison and Gordonsville seem to be more affordable, too.

There's a new cider works out in Keswick...not sure about their costs, though.
  • sassybananasassybanana member
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a few issues finding my venue too. I am also looking in Cville but for a reception area that has outdoor ceremony and indoor reception space. I keep running in to the $5,000 price range without tables and chairs. I am also looking at a slightly smaller size wedding (100-120).
    If you were looking to do an outdoor thing you would just have to find a place that could accomodate a tent for your capacity.
    Sweely Winery in Madison has indoor/outdoor space for $5,000
    Veritas and King Family are nice as well.
    StoneFire Station has a stuff already included at a very fair price and they cater themselves. The only thing is that it's not much for outside location and may not accomodate 200.
    I think the place CvilleClair is talking about it Castle Hill Cider across from Keswick Vineyards. They run $5000 a night for the space.
    I'm checking out Pollack Vineyard tomorrow as well as Barren Ridge Vineyard in Fishersville.  I realized if I want all of my wishlist (fall, mountain backdrop, indoor/outdoor space, flexible alcohol policies) I may have to go further out of town to be able to afford!! Hence Barren Ridge ($3500), and I'm looking in to GrayHaven Winery in Hadensville (you might like, all outside and not too expensive).
    Ash Lawn, btw, has a pretty strict end time and set up/clean up policy. That was a detraction for me because it all had to be done in a small window of time due to visiting hours.
    Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

• edited December 2011
    Good Evening
    If you will consider driving over the afton mountain we have a beautiful facility about 25 minutes outside of charlottesville. Check out Hermitage HIll Farm and Stables
    We include chair and tables in our rental price and the upside of NOT dealing with a vineyard is that we do not require you buy wine. Which is a hidden cost many vineyards require.
    Our website is http://www.hermitagehillfarm.com
    We offer unique wedding opportunities of a Carrots and Cocktails Hour where guests can mingle with the horses in the stable during a cocktail hour while you and your photographer get some great wedding shots.
    Thanks
    NIkki
    edited December 2011
    I found many wineries with event spaces through this web page and you can filter the area and if they have venues or not.
    http://www.virginiawine.org/wineries
  • CvilleClaireCvilleClaire member
    edited December 2011
    BTW, my venue is Pippin Hill, just south of Cville.  We signed on very early with them, so we had a reduced rental rate.  It's wort checking out because they include almost everything with their fee.

Veritas does NOT include staffing with their fee, by the way.  They sent me a sample bill from a 150 person wedding and it was $22K for venue, food, bar, and staffing (the staffing lines were surprisingly high).  $7K is the rental fee, but that's just the jumping off point.
    edited December 2011
    I was wondering where you finally decided. I didn't make it out to Pippin Hill. Is it nice? I went to White Hall the other day and fell in love!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards