Virginia
Options

Who are you using for your photographer and DJ?

Who are you using for your photographer and what is thier price range like?

I am having a hard time figuring out what vendor do I want to dedicate the majority of my budget.  I know a florist is very important but otherwise I can't decide how much is reasonable.

Re: Who are you using for your photographer and DJ?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Rebecca Franklin photography and her packages start at 1500, which I think is for 6 hours. She's absolutely amazing. We loved our e-pix and she feels like a friend already!

As far as prioritizing, it's definitely a hard decision. Photography was our biggest priority. Instead of a DJ, we're having a friend play the piano for the ceremony and we're doing a DIY laptop/ipod reception. We're also getting the flowers wholesale (probably Norfolk Wholesale Florist, but online is an option as well) and then paying a friend who's worked at a florist to put them together for us.

What helped me in the beginning was sitting down with my budget and ranking things in the order of the budget. And then I gave each category (even the small ones, they add up!) a number. Then you can see what's reasonable and adjust the amounts accordingly. It certainly is hard, but you've got to do it or you'll probably go way over budget.
  • Options
    mrsguaklinmrsguaklin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm super interested to see what people say for DJ. All I have heard is horror stories about DJs. I don't know a single person who has said they would recommend their DJ after they used them. All of my friends have had bad experiences with DJs. That is actually one of the first things I looked for when I came on this board.

As far as our photographer, We are using Valerie Demo. (We JUST officially signed the contract yesterday! It was actually our first real decision in our wedding planning and contract!  YIPPEE!) She has a $2,000.00 minimum, but she does things completely different than most of the photographers we talked to. She doesn't have prepared packages and has a create your own package thing so you only pay for what you need, and you can get whatever you need for your budget. Also, she shot our friends' wedding and the pictures look like they paid three times what they actually did!
    I posted her website in the last post, but here it is again. http://www.valeriedemophotography.com
    We LOVE her!
  • Options
    CvilleClaireCvilleClaire member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Photography is our priority, too.  I'm using Elisa Bricker (Elisa B Photography) in Charlottesville.  I knew I'd use her about a year ago. 

I'll happily cut back on my inviation budget or something else to have pictures that I love. :)

http://www.elisabphotography.com/

We haven't tackled the music yet. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Scott Hayne Photography in Hampton Roads - we chose the basic package and were overjoyed at the final result.  It was $3900 in 5/09

Our DJ was Ryan Brooks with DJ on the Side.  For our Sunday wedding, he charged $650 (including a Sunday discount).  We met with him to discuss timeline/song choices/genres etc. before the wedding and he did a perfect job!  This, again, was in 09 so prices may be higher now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got an awesome deal on a photographer! It's swartzshots.com, they are a husband-wife team and travel anywhere in Virginia for free! They work with individual budgets to give brides what they want. Every package includes UNLIMITED wedding day coverage, and an E-pics session! We told her we wanted to stay between $1-2,000, and they quoted us a price of $1,200! I feel super comfortable with them already and can't wait to start the process! :) Tell them Marisa sent you!

As for DJs, it's hard to make a recommendation without knowing where you are located...in the Hampton Roads Area, I have heard GREAT things about Astro DJs! DJ JJ is super fun and can make a party out of every situation!

hope this helps :)
    September 2011 December Siggy: First Kiss
    imagePregnancy Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Blog!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also using Scott Hayne and it doesn't look like prices have changed since 5/09 (when Sunflower above contracted him).  His packages range from $3900 to $9800.  We had him do our engagement session and are absolutely in love with the pictures- I couldn't have asked for anything better and have gotten so many compliments on them. 

Using Arch Entertainment (DJ Rodney Charles is our DJ and the owner).  Rave reviews on him- he was recommended by our wedding planner.  Have loved him so far and am very confident he'll do a great job. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Along with PhotogBride, my best friend used Rodney Charles at her wedding and he was great - it was one of the most enjoyable weddings we have been to!  He played the right tunes all night long and kept a great pace for the reception.
  • Options
    Kimness17Kimness17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DJ: DJontheSide
    http://www.djontheside.com/
    I liked how they met with you beforehand, used a website where you could make a playlist beforehand (and also include do-not-play songs), and they didn't take over the dance floor.

Photographer: Katy Blevins
    http://www.kbsimplephoto.com/a-simple-gift.html
    Katy is extremely nice and easy to take pictures with and to work with.

Florist: Frances Thrash
    The most beautiful flowers!!! Very inexpensive because she does them herself. To my surprise, this was the best vendor I had. I would highly recommend her! The flowers were gorgeous, fresh and even better than I thought they'd be.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I still don't have my DJ (still getting reccommendations from friends) but I have finally found a photographer - JMayhew Photography out of Danville, Va. SHe is just getting started in the weddign business and I love all of her work that I have seen. $1000 for engagement pics, 3 hours before the ceremony, ceremony, and two hours of the reception (around 6 hours), CD & printing rights of all pictures taken, stiing fee, and a variety of prints and photo books.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucket June 2012 Siggy Challange - Shoes
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well great news!  After a few months of back and forth and research and your recommendations we booked our photographers.  We decided to go with CG Clicks Photography.  They had an amazing deal since they are just starting out.  $500 for 2 photographers with engagement photos.  They will also cover our rehersal dinner.  I really liked their work and they seemed super sweet.  I can't wait for our engagement pictues in the spring :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We are using ModernWED for photography... 6 hours, 2 photographers and an engagement for $2600.   We went with Choice Entertainment for a DJ.  Loved their meet the dj night!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We're also using Valerie Demo for our photos! We had our engagement photos with her a few months ago and they turned out GREAT! I love her style. Plus our package was only around $2,000 which includes albums for ourselves and our parentts, as well as a disc full of the images with the copyrights. I'd definitely reccomend her.

As far as DJ, we are using AstroDJ which is who my reception coordinator reccomended as well as a friend of mine who just got married in December.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    August 2011 Siggy: Cake Inspiration!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    arch16arch16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi Ladies!  I just had my wedding this past November in Virginia Beach and I would highly recommend the photographer Kelly Lee (kellyleephotography.com).  Also, I saw a few posts up someone mention that DJ's are hard to find. Yes, they are!!  I have to say, I think I found THE BEST wedding DJ in this area and I would recommend him to everyone! HIs name is DJ Rodney Charles and he is amazing. Very classy and professional. He won't make any stupid DJ jokes or embarrass you. He does everything the way you want and I was also impressed at how nice his DJ equipment was set up and "hidden".  Very classy. You won't regret it! He books fast though so I would meet with him asap. Great guy!

Hope that helps!

• Options
    golakers1980golakers1980 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Carmen Wang Photography.  They are serving for DC, MD and northern VA.

My best investment for my wedding.  Check them out:

www.carmenwangphotography.com

I do not recommend my DJ.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Brian Ray Studios was reasonable enough for me, when we were looking at packages it started around 1200. I'd say check it out and to me the pictures are more important, but flowers are still up there on the list.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Be careful with CG Clicks! I know it seems like a great deal but from looking at their stuff it looks like they have little to no wedding photography experience and the portrait photos they do have are pretty poor quality and have serious light issues and edit issues.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using April Campbell of April Renee Photography. She's located in Williamsburg. She did amazing work with our engagement pictures. Check out her facebook page or google her website.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't bring myself to spend that much money on either. My best friend's dad owns Dj equipment. he runs a small company on the side just for fun. He has done a few parties, but mostly just DJs our friend parties and things like that. So I just asked him to do it. I figured I've always had fun at the parties and liked the music they play. As for photographers, I asked a few of my fellow artists and they all reccomended Paul Costen. I don't think he's done many wedding photos, but he takes photos for the theater volunteer with. I"m also considering a friend who worked in wedding photography for about a year. Our budget is super small, so I decided the easiest place to cut would be the DJ and the Photographer.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Totally agree now.  I am in scramble mode now.  The engagement shoot we had turned out to be less than desireable, and now I am looking for a new photographer.  Hopefully someone will be available, and I will be able to change.  If you have yet to book please dont with CG Clicks.  Super nice girls but not yet at the professional level. Do not let your wedding day be a stepping stone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards