Virginia
Options

XP: Things to do in Charlottesville?

Hi VA KnottiesLaughing

DH and I are visiting Charlottesville for a long weekend in November and we are looking for some fun/interesting things to do during the day (Friday and Saturday).

We will be in town for the DMB shows, so our nights are full but wanted to see if there were any "must see" sites.

Any winery or brewery suggestions would be great, along with any great restaurants for late lunch/early dinner.

TIA
Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

Re: XP: Things to do in Charlottesville?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    if youre goin for the DMB show, then visit dave's winery. blenheim vineyards....that would round out the trip nicely. there are several restaurants in c'ville right in town. and they're ALL great.
    have a wonderful trip!!!
  • Options
    morganmoyermorganmoyer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There a lot of wineries around/near C'ville. I'd recommend Hilltop Berry Farm in Nellysford, Veriatas, Barboursville, and Ciderworks. As far as breweries there is Starr Hill, Blue Mountain Brewery, and Devil's Backbone.

There are also hikes on the Blue Ridge Parkway like Humpback Rocks.
  • Options
    CvilleClaireCvilleClaire member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Blenheim is Dave's winery...but I have a feeling the DMB kids will be all over that place.  It's just a 10 minute drive from most of the hotels in town.

I woud take the tours at UVa (the tourist tour) and Monticello (gorgeous and near Blenheim) and then go for a wine tasting.  Over on that side of town, there is also a great orchard calle Carter's Mountain that would be a fun place to stop (you have to try the apple cookies!).

We are a HUGE food, beer, and wine town, so it's hard to narrow down the options.  If you want to do the brewery thing, you'd head the opposite direction from Monticello and Blenheim.  You'll find Starr Hill Brewery (Coran Capshaw, DMB's manager is the financial backer there), King Family Vineyards (great for Sunday, when they have polo matches), Blue Mountain Brewery, and Devil's Backbone Brewery in Crozet, the town just west of Charlottesville.  Starr Hill shares a building with MusicToday, the company that runs The Warehouse and does all the merchandise and live downloads.

I would stay away from MIller's on the Downtown Mall.  That's where Dave bartended and played once in a while (as did Roi and some others in the band).  It's a dive and they always have lines out the door because kids seem to think Dave will show up there.  Escafe is the old Eastern Standard, another spot where Dave, Tim, and others played in the early days.  Unfortuately, Trax was knocked down long ago...not that it was anything worth seeing.  :)

Coran's restaurants are: Blue Light (get it? Red Light/Blue Light), Mono Loco, Enoteca, Five Guys, Ten (awesome sushi), and Mas (tapas...fantastic).

You'll love the Downtown Mall!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards