• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry

How do I change my name?

I recently got married (out of state) and moved to Arlington. I am trying to take my husband's name. Does anyone know where I might go to get that accomplished?

(I just found out that going to the Courthouse and starting the "name change" process is actually not the correct way.)

Any suggestions appreciated!

Re: How do I change my name?

  • lizstill13lizstill13 member
    edited December 2011
    Everyone I know says the Social Security Office should be the first stop. Take your marriage license with you and your photo ID. Having that SS card should make it easier to get everything else, like your driver's license.
  • SSM&JLMSSM&JLM member
    edited December 2011
    Take your old SS card, your marriage license and the required SS paperwork already filled out (you can do it online) and head to your local SS office.  I suggest going during the week and getting there about 10 minutes before it opens.  There was a line before it opened when I went to do mine on like a Tuesday.  It took about 2 weeks to get my new SS card.

    In VA, you just need a copy of your marriage license to change to driver's license.  I changed mine before they were doing the new ugly licenses though, so you won't get it immediately anymore and they'll have to mail it you I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards