Ohio-Toledo

Has anyone had or been to a reception at Oak Openings Lodge?

We have been looking around at various places for a small wedding (aprox 80) venue. We are mostly inviting close family and they will be bringing their children with them. We are strongly considering Oak Openings Lodge and wondered if anyone had any experience with the location?
Thanks!

Re: Has anyone had or been to a reception at Oak Openings Lodge?

• cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I cannot really help you.  I just wanted to say that I know there was severe damage around the lodge when we had all of those tornados in 2010.  Many, many, many trees were uprooted and the tops of hundreds of trees were just broken off and gone. If you have seen pictures of the area (or remember it) from before the tornados, you may want to check it out again and make sure the surroundings still appeal to you.

Perhaps it doesn't matter.  I just think that one of the biggest perks of choosing a park setting it everything arround you.

If it does help, we were married at Pearson Park (another metropark) and reserved the lodge there for our rain back-up.  We were happy with the metroparks every step of the way.  :)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I was at a wedding there two weeks ago, and it was beautiful. I think it would feel a little crowded with 80 people even though it says occupancy is 100.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you both for the information! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I actually just booked my reception their for May! I read the crowded at 80 comment so I hope our over 100 list doesn't all show (eek!)
    ALSO if you book it there.... if you spend the $30 to become a "Metro parks memeber" you will get $150 off the price of the Lodge rental!!  
  • cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_anyone-reception-oak-openings-lodge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:237Discussion:053629b7-1562-457d-9ad4-2bf62bc73563Post:1f9ad8b0-860d-4218-b899-d052a86444e0">Re: Has anyone had or been to a reception at Oak Openings Lodge?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually just booked my reception their for May<strong>! I read the crowded at 80 comment so I hope our over 100 list doesn't all show (eek!)</strong> ALSO if you book it there.... if you spend the $30 to become a "Metro parks memeber" you will get $150 off the price of the Lodge rental!!  
    Posted by eharmony red head[/QUOTE]

Can you cut down your guest list?  What are you going to do if everyone does show up?  I cannot remember our final numbers, but it was something like we invited 93 and had 85.  I know for sure that we had less than 10 people decline.  Oh, and don't just assume that your out of town guests will probably decline.  Every single one of our out of town guests attended.  Many people feel like a wedding is a good time for a family reunion of sorts.

A good rule to follow is that you should never invite more than you can host, whether it be due to the size of the hall or your budget.

If you don't cut down your guest list, you are taking a HUGE risk.  I really hope that you're able to do this!  Good luck!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We booked the lodge for June 2, 2012. I love the natural setting of the park and the indoor area ties into that so well!

I bet you could fit 100 more easily if you use the oblong tables instead of the round ones.

Feel free to message me since we are getting married so close to each other and at the same location. Maybe we can share some tips with each other. Wink

BTW, where are you having your ceremony?
    Amy
  • edited December 2011
    We have been their a few times and really haven't decided. We want to pick out a spot while the leaves are still on the trees ya know? Don't want to go in January and say "THEIR!"    We walked all along the lake and some trails and our results, this:

If you are looking at the main doors (not patio doors) from the parking lot near the dumpster, look to your left - at the edge of the clearing. Their is a small dirt area that is raised a bit. You can see the water a touch and their is a branch or 2 hanging above. It is VERY important to us to have 2 trees, some what similar in size behind us, just for picture symetry etc. We will be most likely be doing standing room only style with a few chairs for our mature family/friends.   We aren't having the traditional walk a million people down the isle because their probly won't be one. If we do have one (because I kinda would like to walk towards my about to be husband) I may gather a few rocks to lighn the edges or maybe a few flowers or something, just to keep some kind of order and so people know where (and where NOT) to stand.  Also , if you keep following the edge, their is another spot where you can hear the water from the pond AND the creek with more creek view that the previous spot.       Really though, who knows how many leaves will really be on the trees in early may??Undecided

I have been looking up any kind of visuals I can find to see how others have organized the tables...... it seems so much smaller than I thought it would be! eek!
    I think the long tables will be less eye pleasing but they can be pushed back after everyone's bellys are full and they are ready to dance!

We were their Sunday and their was a wedding reception taking place. It took all I had to not sneek up and take a peak of how they had the tablesFoot in mouth

If you would like to stay connected about this I would like that very much. Feel free to ask or chat or share away. I'd love to hear about what you are doingCool
  • Hi!

I am having my wedding at oak openings lodge this coming fall and am expecting 80-100 people, depending on how many people show and how many bring dates.
    More importantly, I am planning my whole wedding from Florida!
    What did you ladies end up doing for table room? Ceremony space ?(We are thinking outside, weather permiting). Did you end up having room for a dance floor?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    Kirsten
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards