Ohio-Toledo

DJ or Band

I am having a great debate between having a DJ or a band! I really would love both, but that would probably be waaaay too expensive. What is your tak on it ladies? DJ or Band? why and who?

Re: DJ or Band

• edited December 2011

If you have your heart set on hearing certain songs (the original version) then you have to go with a DJ.  Maybe make a playlist of what you would want played at the reception and see if a band would be capable of playing all of those songs.

I've only ever been to one wedding with a band and it turned out to be a polka band so I am not a fair judge!!!!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    See I always thought I would want to hear the original songs so I was DJ all the way but I just went to a wedding with a band. They were amazing and it was a ton of fun! So Im so torn!
  • Altoid_StormAltoid_Storm member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going with a DJ just because I like a lot of different styles of music. And though I like bands, I like the freedom of which kinds of music and sounds at which parts of the night. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I have never actually been to a wedding with a band :( I think it would be a ton of fun! But yeah, they may not be able to play all of the songs you want to hear. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We went with a band.  We don't get to pick a song list, but we do get to set up an ipod for during their 2 breaks.  I just think live music makes more people get out on the dance floor.  But, that's just me, a good DJ really should be able to do that to. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. --Michael Leunig-- Planning Bio
  • MerinMerin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I see pros and cons to both sides

A Band is going to be more interactive and exciting, and is a little different from the 'norm'.  They will also, however, be more expensive and will be limited on what they can play.

A DJ is less expensive and can play just about any music you could ever want!  On the other hand, they're not generally as interactive or unique.

We went with a DJ because, like PP mentioned, we have a very wide taste in music and wanted a big variety.  Plus a DJ fit the budget much better. :)
    Causes that are important to me: Planned Pethood Graham's Foundation NOCC
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a DJ.  The DJ will also act as our MC for the night, he can play whatever song we want, and no breaks in the music.  Plus like PP's said, this way we can many different kinds of music.

Also, since I live in Colorado, I didn't have time to interview a bunch of different bands (Thinking Wedding Singer here).  I used the same DJ that my brother hired, and some friends also hired, so no interviewing required for me.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • mamboqueenmamboqueen member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    For us it was never a question. We went with a abnd and loved every minute of it. The band played such a wide variety that everyone was happy and on the dancefloor all night long. We used Grand Avenue and they were awesome. www.grandavenueband.com
  • J.J.W.J.J.W. member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding had a band. I think bands are classy and DJs not so much, I am myself a photographer and attend a lot of weddings. A d.j. is not just there to play music he is your mc he keeps things moving. I have a loud and organized friend who acted as the mc and kept things moving and the couple songs we wanted original versions of the band was able to play a cd through their sound system. So I love the band you just need to have an MC too and make sure the band is upbeat enough to keep people moving and can play some songs that people will know too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards