Ohio-Toledo
Options

Alcohol or no?

okay, so my reception venue allows me to bring my own liquor in, but I have to purchase kegs through them.... 175$ a piece. My fiancé and I won't be 21, however, all of our friends will be, and both of our families like their beer. We have nearly 200 people coming, and one keg can get 100 servings out. There's no way everyone will only have one drink per person. I'm not sure if my venue does cash bar, but if they do, is this a good route to go? And if there is no cash bar, is no alcohol going to be a damper? I know you don't need alcohol to have a good time, but I feel like people expect it upon arrival.

Re: Alcohol or no?

• Options
    cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Your reception should be a way to thank your guests for coming.  That is why you should be hosting the party.  You wouldn't invite them all to a restaurant and expect them to pay for their own dinner.  Don't invite them to your reception and expect them to pay for their own drinks.  Your guests should never be opening their wallets at your reception.  Don't do a cash bar.  We tipped our bartenders generously and didn't even let them have a tip jar out.

Just because you and your FI don't drink, doesn't mean that your guests shouldn't be able to drink.  DH and I don't really drink, but it never occurred to us to not have alcohol knowing that most our families would want it.

If cost is the main concern, I would cut corners elsewhere to have alcohol.  If you cannot afford a full bar, serving beer and wine only is acceptable.  I think it's also really fun to serve beer, wine, and some sort of signature drink (a single mixed drink that will appeal to many people).

If the date listed in the know is correct, you have over 15 months until your wedding.  That is quite a lof of time to save money and work alcohol into your budget.  I really hope that you can find a way to do so.  Good luck in your planning!

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_alcohol-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:237Discussion:cc7dc423-806a-459d-9783-ab7e7d335af7Post:eca4f026-664d-4dc0-966c-58dd99634b25">Re: Alcohol or no?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If cost is the main concern, I would cut corners elsewhere to have alcohol.  If you cannot afford a full bar, serving beer and wine only is acceptable.  I think it's also really fun to serve beer, wine, and some sort of signature drink (a single mixed drink that will appeal to many people).Posted by cschuma2[/QUOTE]

THIS, exactly.

Most wedding I have been to that have been no bar or cash bar have ended VERY early, or just not as much fun with people dancing and hanging out and all of that.  I'm NOT saying that you have to have alcohol to have fun, but I am saying that your reception will probably be more fun and feel more like a party with it.  No matter how awesome your reception is, if people are not dancing or leaving early, it will be a huge letdown.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP. I am having beer and 4 different wines. My venue is a little pricey to have a full bar, so beer and wine it is. Give them at least a little variety. They will be expecting it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    literarymuseliterarymuse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not serving alcohol at my reception. I know this is crazy to some people, but I'm holding the reception in the Family Life Center of my Methodist church. They don't allow you to have any alcohol, so this decision was made for me. However, we've put on our website that the reception will be dry, so guests may get the memo that way. I'm not really worried about the fact that we won't be serving alcohol.

However, since you are in a venue where you can serve alcohol, people may expect it. I still think you'll be okay if you don't have it, though. But like PP said, it WILL help your reception to last longer, and it can lead to some pretty fun times. If you think you're going to have a lot of pushback about not serving it, then I would find a way to work it into your budget.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are serving beer and wine. the reception site has their own bar which if guests want more than beer or wine they can pay for it. i love this because it allows more options of drinks to the guests but i don't have to pay for the whole bill
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didnt read the other posts. But I agree with Abbey. We were just at our neices wedding a few months ago that that was a dry wedding. It ended very early... like 8:30pm. I do not think it is a very good decision to not have alcohol. If you cannot afford an open bar, then holidng a cash bar... is.... ok. But if I were you I would try ot fit it in the budget to hold a open bar,. even if it means not inviting your moms best friends cousin (getting back the guest list)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards