Getting in Shape
Options

Help! Diet/exercise newbie (sortof)

Hi girls,
I just got inspired to up my diet and exercise routine because I bought an engagement picture dress this weekend--it was on clearance, so they only had one size too small.  It zips--but it's REALLY tight. 

My pictures are in exactly one month, and I'd really like to loose 5-8 pounds in that time.  Right now, I walk 35 minutes to and from work, and try to net 1200 calories a day.  I use MyFitnessPal to track calories.  My question is, I've been adding the walk to and from work to MFP, so really having at least 1400 calories (16-1800 when I exercise too), and I'm not sure if it's really that accurate to add the walk when I sit for 8 hours at work.  I'm not walking that fast and don't really feel like that is exercise.  Eating this number of calories has enabled me to maintain my weight, but not loose.  Would cutting back and/or not tracking the walk be a good idea or put me in this so-called "starvation mode." 

I eat healthy--soup/salad lunch, yogurt breakfast, and grill meat and veggies for dinner.  My downfall is alcohol on the weekends!  My hardship is that I am already a fairly active/healthy person, so losing weight is really hard for me.  I have love handles that just don't seam to go away no matter what I do--any tips? Good exercise DVDs? I'd be completely fine with losing no weight, just inches, my goal is for the hip area of the dress to fit more losely (and I know you cannot spot train away fat, just saying..). 

Thanks girls!

Re: Help! Diet/exercise newbie (sortof)

• Options
    I agree - don't slash calories, you're too close to the borderline. Try adding something extra to your workout. Both a recently married friend and I had lots of success dropping inches with Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. Week 3 is the one that hurts the most, but it is the best week by far! My friend commented that after week 3, her dress pants were much looser in the hip/thigh area.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks to both of you!  I am going to stop tracking my walking for a week and see if that does any good--still definitely track all the other exercise.  I never eat less than 1200-my problem is going over budget, never not reaching it! lol.  Also, that Jillian Michaels DVD sounds great--I'll search Amazon!  Looser in the hip/thigh area = exactly what I'm trying to do.
  • Options
    Contact me  www.marydelahanty.isagenix.com

you can lose 20 pounds in 1 month healthy and also drink on weekends.. it works and is amazing  i did it before my weddng and lost 20 pounds 30 days before and have kept it off since.  Today is my 1 year anniversary 

• Options
    Jdailey1 I tried p90x and it worked for me for shedding some inches, are you trying to make this a permanent thing or are you just looking to get fit fast for you pics? If it's long term that you are looking for I may have more information for you that can benfit you. Feel free to email me if you want buriostegui85@gmail.com. My name is Brenda.
  • Options
    Reduce sodium intake and alcohol intake. Both cause major bloating. Plus that time of month :) Maybe try some toning excerises for that specific area. Hope this helps. I'm a newbie too so I understand
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thanks PP!  I agree with the sodium and alcohol suggestion for sure.  You don't realize how much salt is in everything until you try not eating it...lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards