Getting in Shape

low sodium/reducing bloating...

Hi Ladies!
I am 13 days away from my wedding, and I was thinking of reducing my sodium intake and increasing my water intake. I have been trying to cut sodium for awhile, but I am really struggling with it. Any tips, favorite foods, recipes for a low-sodium diet? I'm not trying to loose substantial weight, I just want to reduce a little of my bloated feeling and feel better generally. Thanks!

Re: low sodium/reducing bloating...

• The best way to cut sodium and otherwise reduce bloating is to cut down on your processed food intake.  That's where most of your sodium comes from, and a lot of those chemicals cause bloating.

Other things to consider cutting back on: carbonated beverages, alcohol, white starches

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • When you season your foods, spring for herbs instead of salt.
    Drink so much water.
    Avoid processed, pre-packaged foods. Check out nutrition labels when in doubt.
    Lots of leafy greens, fewer starches (but some starch is good for you nutritionally, so don't cut it out all the way)
  • See above - premade = sodium.  That's what makes it taste so delicious :)

Make your own foods, and try adding some rosemary to a few dishes, as it naturally helps 'de-bloat.'
    Anniversary
  • Good to know about the rosemary. My issue is that I work long hours and I don't always have time to make something for dinner, so my go to are eggs & toast, bowl of cheerios with blueberries and pre-packaged dinners (EEK I know they're awful). Anyone have any websites where I can get quick, low sodium meals?
  • Bread is loaded with sodium.  Pepperidge Farm Lite tastes just as good (I swear, not cardboard) and has significantly less sodium.
    Milk also has sodium (and lots of hidden sugar), so try using a smaller serving or checking into some almond milk or other alternatives.
    As for dinner, do you have a slow cooker?  Then, you could just make one dish for the week, with the same ease as warming a pre-packaged meal.  If not, just make a huge batch of chicken and veggies and rewarm as needed.
    Anniversary
  • Are you actually tracking your sodium to know you're consuming too much?  If you're not, I highly suggest that you do.  I thought I was consuming too much sodium because I was constantly bloated and uncomfortable.  When I started tracking it, it turned out that I actually was right around where I should be (you don't want to consume too little, either, because you need some).  So then I thought I was overeating, eating the wrong things, etc.  It turned out I had a food intolerance.  So if you track and find you're where you should be, you're eating better, etc, and it's not helping, it might be time for a trip to the doctor to check for other stuff going on.  There are a number of food intolerances and other things that can cause bloating.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards