Getting in Shape
Options

Heart rate monitor vs machine

For those of you with heart rate monitors, have you ever worn your monitor and used a treadmill, elliptical, etc to see how close the “calories burned” totals were to each other?  I know that I should break down and buy a heart rate monitor, but frankly I don’t really have the money right now.  Today while on the elliptical it said I burned 517 calories in 35 minutes.  That seems high to me, although I did have it on a high resistance setting.  Just curious!

Re: Heart rate monitor vs machine

• Options
    I don't really think that sounds too high. Hunniapple wore her HRM for 30 minutes and burned 400 calories. Depending on your weight and resistance, 517 may not be too far off.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think some machines might be more accurate than others.  We have lifefitness machines at the gym.  After a 50 minute run w/ a cooldown (about 5.75 miles), it will read around 600 calories which makes me much happer than when i look at my HRM readout and it says 450. Maybe see if you can borrow one for a few workouts just to get an idea of the accuracy.  Then use a ratio to estimate the actual (at my gym it is 75%)  
  • Options
    517 sounds way high to me.  The machines are notoriously wrong.  Think of it like this: if you weigh 150lbs you burn about 100 calories per mile of running.  Less when you bike or elliptical.  So 517 calories in 35 minutes would be like running 5 miles in 35 minutes or 7 minutes/mile.   If you weight more than 150 your calories burned goes up of course, but that is still a pretty high total in a short amount of time.  Heart rate monitors are great but many of them (even the expensive ones) are not accurate as to calories burned.  It's just a better guess than the machines.  I would focus on the length of your workouts.  If you elliptical on a high resistance for 60 minutes you're going to burn a heck of a lot of calories.  No need for expensive equipment. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards