Getting in Shape
Options

How bad is Running?

On the treadmill right now I walk at 3.5 mph. I know I am capable to getting to 3.8, that is where I was when I lost my first 25 pounds. I would like to get up to running, only if it doesn't ruin my bewbs, knees, ankles etc. Are these myths true?

Re: How bad is Running?

• Options
    I didn't know running could ruin your breasts...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have always been told that...hmmm
  • Options
    Wear a sports bra, or two. That will help.
  • Options
    I have been a long time runner ... Running can be hard on your knees and ankles and can be worse if you don't have the correct supportive shoe.As for the 'bewbs', as you call them.  The only reason peoplesay your 'bewbs' get smaller is because they are FAT andyou are burning FAT when you run.  I added in some extrachest exercises to keep toned in that area during weight loss.
  • Options
    Running on a treadmill is less likely to cause damage, with a proper shoe and by taking it slow. Try visiting runnersworld.com for some workout ideas on how/when to increase your speed and mileage.  
  • Options
    I think running can certainly hurt your breasts if you don't have a good sports bra like CB said- I mean, the swinging around can hurt, but I don't think you can do any actual damage to them. From what I've heard running on a treadmill is better than running in the street because the treadmill has more give than pavement. Personally, I think running is just hard and it hurts and in order to be successful you have to be willing to push through the pain. Which is why I don't run ;) .
  • Options
    I have heard that years of running can make the breasts sag, I wasn't sure if anyone had heard this before. What brands of shoes do you runners recommend?
  • Options
    I wear Asics and LOVE them. They are great shoes and so comfortable. I would, however, recommend that you go into a running store and have them fit your feet to a good pair of running shoes. This can save your from injuries down the line.
  • Options
    An elliptical is better than a treadmill if you have access to one.
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    Thank you girls for the advice! What makes you say an elliptical is "better"? That is a random statement and I think that is a matter of opinion. I LOVE the treadmill, and it is the only thing that gives me great results.
  • Options
    Mrs_AFMrs_AF member
    First Comment
    I think what Pirata meant by the elliptical being better was in terms of the stress it puts on your knees and feet. On a treadmill you are putting a lot of pressure on these parts of your body with each step, while an elliptical is much easier on them. :)HTH!
  • Options
    Running hurts my knees too much so I rollerblade and have had a great success with that as far as toning and weightloss...but maybe I should go in and get fitted for good running shoes and try that again! But if you are looking for an less impact way to burn a lot of calories, rollerblading is great! i've heard from a few personal trainers that the ellyptical doesn't work nearly as good as running or rollerblading, etc. As for sports bras, I find the 100% cotton ones work the best for me as well as wearing a sports tank with a built in bra. I think those spandex ones are really comfy but don't give very good support (JMO).
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • Options
    I wanted to agree with the pps about ellipticals. The more weight you carry, the more stress you will have on your joints when running. The elliptical provides a lower impact workout, but allows you to enjoy the same health benefits. If you are not concerned about weight loss as much as cardio fitness, running on a treadmill should be fine on your knees and ankles.
  • Options
    I'm looking to buy new running shoes.  I made it through week 5 in C25K and have decided new shoes would be good.Can somebody reccomend a store that would have a professional who could properly fit me with shoes?Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards