Getting in Shape
Options

Inches vs. Weight

Stupid question but...... the scale isn't budging although my pants are fitting better some of them even baggy. I know there isn't a one size gits all weight lose but is it typical to lose inches in your waist but not any lbs?! TIA!!

Re: Inches vs. Weight

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Heh, I have the same problem. When I started working out I wasnt losing any weight. I stalled at 4lbs for weeks and got so frustrated I almost started crying at the gym. When I first joined they measured me, and I asked the manager to measure me again and it turned out I had lost 8".Since then, I have lost 38.5" yet only 17lbs. I weigh around 13lbs MORE than I did this time last year, but fit into all of the clothes I wore at that point. If you are doing an excersize that is building your muscles significantly, its entirely possible the scale is going to just make you feel bad.I suggest you go out and get a tape measure, and chart your progress with that, because it has really helped me.
  • Options
    I second PP with the tape measure- it is a more accurate indicator of your progress than the scale is. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle, but the muscle takes up less room. It is quite common to get smaller without losing weight- you are just firming up the fat. Tape measurers are great!
  • Options
    I actually have measured with a tape measure (in may was the 1st) My aunt is making my wedding dress and she took measurements so I knew how much material to get. I re measured myself just last week and lost 5in around my waist alone, I guess I'm just fusterated because I expected to see results on the scale 1st! If I reach my goal of 30lbs I can buy myself a new camera, I didn't expect that I'd lose the inches and slim out without losing the pounds! I will keep working at it!!!! I just need to stay positive!
  • Options
    The only trouble I have with measuring is I always wonder if I am measuring in the exact same spot as before. Cause even if you move the tape up or down just a sliver it can effect the measurement.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    If you measure often enough,  you get the hang of where you measure. I measure every Saturday - same spot each time. My bust I do at the biggest section, waist I measure across my belly button and along the point where if I bend sideways it creases (and I will sometimes bend sideways with the tape measure on to be certain). I find thighs are the hardest spot to make sure i get the right spot so I try to do it 5" from my knee each time. Its just a matter of being consistant and remembering where you did it last week.
  • Options
    I got the same problem been working out all summer and eating piles of veggies and fuits and nothing but lean crap and tracking all of it and the scale don't move, I didn't start weighing till about a month ago but you'd think after a month of running 2mi everyday plus various strenth/ab exersizes Id lose a pond or two, I do feel smaller and feel as though I'm seeing results in the mirror though, I measured and lost an inch, I still think I should be losing more. And hey, I'm getting married in St. Pete!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards