Getting in Shape
Options

How many pounds to a size?

How many pounds do you need to lose before you go down a size? Is it different for plus sizes than regular sizes? I read once that a regular size is about 10-15 lbs, and a plus size is 15-20 lbs. Is that true? Does anyone know?

Re: How many pounds to a size?

• Options
    Hmm.  I'm not sure.  I know that for me personally, 11-12 lbs. is the difference between jean sizes, so it sounds about right.
  • Options
    I went from a dress size 10 to 4 and I lost 27lbs.  It dependswhere you lose the weight and you may also lose inchesand not necessarily weight. I just follow the suggested measured inches on websites to figure out what size I am.Hope this helps!
  • Options
    My FMIL always says 10 pounds is a size.  I find it takes me about 15 to go down a size.  It probably depends more on your body shape.
  • Options
    I just fit into my "skinny jeans" today, which are a smaller 20. Yay for me! :)The reason I ask is because our engagement party is mid-December, and my FI's family is coming to California from Texas to meet my family for the first time. I've got my eye on a cute dress from Davids Bridal that I want to purchase for the party. I figured it could be a reward to myself for losing weight. I'd like to purchase it in a size 16, but I don't know how much weight that is.
  • Options
    I would go by the measurements for that store.  Look onthe site, measure yourself known to know what size you would be and then how many inches you would lose to getto that size.
  • Options
    I found it was in about the 10-12lbs range.Size 20 - size 16 would then be at least 20 lbs, and with mid December being about 8 weeks away, that's 2.5 lbs per week, which is doable.  But remember that bridal shops often run their sizes small.  (Which never made sense to me, you think they'd make it so you were wearing a size that sound smaller, to make you feel all happy and whatnot).Going by the inches is, I would say, good advice!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think it really depends on your body and how you lose the weight.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It largely depends on your body AND the work out you do. Ive done heavy weights for the past 6 months and ive lost only 24lbs but dropped 50" (going from struggling into a size 18 in most normal stores to a comfortable 14).
  • Options
    I'm in my 5th week at WW, and have lost 4.4 lbs thus far. Maybe more, I'll find out on Saturday. :)I have a 2x a week dance class for an hour. I've also been doing the 30DS off and on, but started doing it every day this week. I want to stick with it, especially because I can physically SEE my body changing in the mirror. My body looks slimmer, to me at least.
  • Options
    What weight are you doing 30DS at? Do you have heavier weights you can use. Your body is capable of lifting heavier stuff and it will build muscle, boost your metabolism and make it easier for your body to burn fat. Heavy weights are a godsend.
  • Options
    I'm currently 244 lbs. When I was doing it off and on, I hadn't gotten my handweights back from my parents' house yet, so I worked with 1 lb soup cans. Making my pantry work for me. Yeah! But I've currently been working with 3 lb weights for the last two days consistently. I'm only on level one, but the squat/shoulder press combo in the first circuit KILLS me. But I have seen a huge improvement in my stamina thus far. I'm thinking if I start to feel it getting too easy, I can upgrade to my 5 lb weights, but for now, I'll just stick with 3 lbs.
  • Options
    Good rule of thumb I find is if you can do all three sets in perfect form, you need to up the weights (im totally losing somethingin the translation im sorry). Basically, you should be pushing hard to lift, the strain tears the muscle and thats how you build more. Id suggest trying a few sets with the 5lbs (do 3, 3, 5) and see how you make out, if you can get through it up it a bit more next time. Youll be lifting 10-15 in no time!
  • Options
    I guess I'm just kinda a wimp when it comes to exercise. lol. I'd rather take on more exercise (timewise) than make a shorter workout harder. But that's definitely good advice. I'll try to work in my 5 lb weights at least a little bit. As far as inches go, is 30DS the best workout for that? I try to do that in the mornings and some other kind of exercise after work/school for the day.
  • Options
    Honestly the more you do it, the easier it will be to move up. I used to struggle with pushups and I can do 50 now (30sec break in between each set of 10). You just have to keep doing it, upping the reps and weight as you go. I dont use 30DS, I work out at the gym, but I would make sure youre doing the heaviest weights you can handle + a high intensity cardio (again, start where youre comfortable and move up on a regular basis).
  • Options
    In general, I would agree that you should try to use a heavy enough weight that you completely fatigue the muscle group you're training at the end of each set.  If you're doing the 30DS, however, I would suggest you stick around the 3lb range for a while.  Perhaps try to get through the whole first 30 days on 3lbs before you work up to a different weight range.  The reason is because you are doing complex compound exercises in an aerobic setting.  If you use too heavy of a weight, you will start to lose form and not reap the aerobic benefits of the exercises.  The purpose of a compound aerobic workout is not to fatigue your muscles with each move, but to build cardio endurance and blast calories.  If you want to lose about 2lb a week, you need to burn between 500 and 1000 calories more per day than you consume.  For most people who have an exercise routine going, that amounts to an EXTRA 20-30 minutes of exercising per day.  So if you're doing the 30DS every day, and dance class 2x per week, I would suggest adding in walking or yoga.  You can get really really good power yoga podcasts (FREE) off iTunes.  I use them, and would strongly recommend "Power Yoga with Dave Farmar."  His routines run 60 min on the short end to 100 min on the long end.
  • Options
    I have to say, I'm so thankful for all you ladies on this board. It's so encouraging to have help and advice. My FI is sweet telling me he's proud of me for sticking to it, which also helps. But having the accountability is great! So..... THANK YOU! :)
  • Options
    I went from a tight 16 to a loose 14 and have lost 19 lbs.  So you're probably right now that I think about it.  Although I would love it if I could fit into 12s just for the ego boost.
    My Polymind (books, being green, random stuff)
  • Options
    You ladies were so right. I checked my form for 30DS in the mirror yesterday, and lo and behold, I'm doing the correct form for the ADVANCED exercise. I'm trying Level 2 this afternoon, and will increase Level 1 to 5 lb weights. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards