Getting in Shape
Options

Update on injury & need suggestions

I found out it is more than likely ( 99%) that it is a torn meniscus again.. Unfortunatly.. to get the MRI ( to find out for sure) is about $1400.. and surgery is gonna cost a couple thousand dollars to have.. that is the min.. I was talking to my Fiance about waiting till we get married to have to get it all done.. but he said that he doesnt think his insurance covers pre-existing conditions.. I am not sure what to do.. I cant afford 3-4 grand.. I know its my knee and my health but I just cant afford that.. even in payments.. I am already paying off $3K from when I had to get a root canal & some other dental surgery done.. I just cant afford that.. I am not really sure what to do at this point..Any suggestions?
Photobucket

Re: Update on injury & need suggestions

• Options
    Have you gone to the doctor so that there is documentation of the injury?  I'm assuming that how you know the situation.I would look into every avenue of getting insurance.  Whether its through FI or humana one or whatever.  Be very clear about your situation when you ask questions because you don't want to be accused of insurance fraud and all of that.  Even if the insurance covers your general hospital costs but not the actual surgery or something like that it would still save you money. I would also look into charity care.  Each state and hospital has there own policies, but there may be a chance that some or all of it could be covered through one of those programs. 
  • Options
    This is going to come off harsher than intended, but I think you need to weight what is more important - your health or your wedding. If you can take 3-4k from the wedding fund to pay for this and either scale back the wedding or push it back, you will be better off.
  • Options
    Yes, got documentation.. I am going to try to look into everything I can but its just frustrating.. Nebb- Thats the thing.. we arent paying for much for the wedding.. FI parents have had a fund set aside for him & his sister with money for their weddings.. so I am paying for very limited.. trust me..  If I had the money in a fund for the wedding I would scale back.. but its not coming out of my pocket.. I have about 200 in a wedding account.. which unfortunatly only pays my doctor bill and some medicine.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    As pp post said, every state has different policies for covering charity care for uninsured patients.  i would call the hospital's billing department where you plan to get the operation and ask them if you could apply.  Also, payment plans for hospitals are very generous.  Our co-pay for my H's recent appendocomy was $2,000.  When we called up to be put on a payment plan, they said that we can pay as little as $20/per month.  And, there is no interest.   But, first check out the fine print on your husband policy. If there is no pre-existing condition clause, then you have nothing to worry about.  GL and i hope it all works out!
  • Options
    Thanks.. I will double check.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm sorry that totally sucks.  I don't know what your income is like but can you look into medicaid.  I know in New Jersey you can apply online and it only takes a couple minutes.  I hope you get this all sorted out soon.
  • Options
    Hi Hwrd2be!  Sorry to hear about your situation.  My DH has a brain tumor and needs MRIs, etc. every 3 months to monitor his condition.  He had this before we got married but I was able to put him on my insurance eventhough it was a preexisting condition because they look at the marriage as a life event.  Maybe your FI's insurance company might do the same.  You could see if he could talk to someone about it.  HTH!!
  • Options
    Thanks hW & Angel... I will check on those.. The charity care & other programs the hospital has.. i dont qualify for.. sux but its what I gotta do..
    Photobucket
  • Options
    OH MY GOD this makes me so, so MAD. I swear, few things get me as riled up as the clusterf*ck that is the insurance system in this country. Seriously, WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO?!?! Trust me, I know how it feels- my insurance SUCKS and if I was in your situation Iwould be royally screwed as well. Everytime someone says that they don't support public healthcare I want to punch them in the face. Or rather, break their leg and then take away their insurance so they can experience it first hand. My fi has great insurance so when he had his knee surgery he didn't have to pay A DIME for MRI's, surgery, PT, or anything. If it happened to me, I would have to pay for all of it up to my awesome $2500 deductible, after which I would pay 20%. And for me to get on his insurance would cost $250/month, which is twice what I pay now. Grrr!!!Anyway, sorry about the rant, but as you can see I am extremely sympathetic! I think other people's suggestions to look into charity care are good ideas, I have no idea how it works though. .  . So sorry you're going through this!!!
  • Options
    Chicago- thanks.. I know.. I am soo frustrated.. I have been in tears both yesterday & today because I feel like I have no choices.. I am already paying off a $3K bill for dental care.. I dont have money to pay it out of pocket.. and dont have money to pay for insurance & deductibles either.. I dunno.. I looked into charity care & other programs like it but I dont qualify for either one.. it sux.. and medicine isnt touching the pain at all.. I feel like giving up. I dont know what else to do.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I've been paying for my own insurance for the last 5 years, so I know the drill. It sucks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards