Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

bridal shop rant, and where to get alterations done in less than 3 weeks?

I ordered my gown back in late March/early April, and I told them my wedding was August 8, and asked if the gown will come in on time, the alterations will be done on time, etc etc. And they were like sure, no problem. So I ordered it, and they said it'll come in around May. May rolls around and then they're like nope, it'll be June. And June rolls around, and it's still not in yet.

FINALLY, yesterday, July 7, pretty much one month before my wedding, the gown finally comes in. So I ask about alterations done at the store, but apparently they only have the seamstress on Mondays, but the next Monday (July 12) is fully booked, so the next open one is on July 19! My wedding is August 8!

So even though they assured me the gown will come in on time, in the end it didn't come in early enough to not have to rush things. I will probably end up taking it to another seamstress or tailor to get it altered, hopefully this weekend.

I tried it on for my parents later in the day and they were also annoyed that the gown took SO LONG to get here, and the gown still needed to be altered. They're not happy because they paid almost $1000 for the gown and took so long and it still needs to be altered, and they expected the gown to be perfectly fit. I told them that most brides need to get alterations done but they expected it to fit well. Blah, sometimes I wish I wasn't so short! I got the "short" gown and it's still too long.

So the question is, anybody know any good alteration places in the Dallas area (I'm in Plano so closer places are good)? And can do it in less than 3 weeks?

Re: bridal shop rant, and where to get alterations done in less than 3 weeks?

• Options
    dannag75dannag75 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a great seamstress. Her name is Leanna with Maybe Sew. Her number is: 972-380-2993.

I know she is on vaca until the 19th but she can work very fast! and her prices are very reasonable.

You can call her now while she is on vacation to set up an appt and see what she can do for you.

My name is Danna (pronounced Donna) - you can tell her I told her about you.

Good Luck!
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    angieandjamesangieandjames member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea about timing, but I'm using Irina Zuravsky.  My sister has known her for years, and has nothing but VERY good things to say about her and her work.  They worked together at an upscale clothing store for a couple years, and she did my sister's dress... Her phone number is 214-460-9571 - give her a call.  She's at Lovers Lane and the Tollway in Dallas, so it would be a bit of a drive for you, but my sister swears she's amazing. Good luck!!
  • Options
    danielle16_17danielle16_17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Leanna with maybe sew for my first wedding dress that I bought and I thought her prices were steep compared to Becky fowler I paid close to 500 dollars just to get bustle, sides taken in, bow sewn on, and it hemmed and I dont think she did a good job- I was unhappy with the work she did- the dress baiscally fell apart when I put it on the next time and when I called her to tell her about it she baiscally told me that was an amazing steamstress and it couldnt possiably be her fault- I called Becky fowler after and she said the dress couldnt be fixed due to leanna taking to much material off the sides so I had to buy another dress which becky altered for my by changing the neckline, bustling, hemming and taking it from a size 8 to a size 2 for $150 - I would use Becky if you can
  • Options
    dannag75dannag75 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Danielle - Sorry you had such a bad experience. I will tell you that she converted my dress to a strapless, take it in from a 10 to a 0/2 hem, complicated bustle and it cost about $400 total and did a great job.

Also, I know Becky is completely booked though the third week of August from someone else on the boards.
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    denisecarmonadenisecarmona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I took mine to Becky Fowler and she is only charging me $50 for the bustle and adding pads to it.  I would call her.. I know she will do anything to help you, even tho she's booked.  I actually e-mailed her this morning about my flower girl dresses and she said if they needed alterations to just let her know.. so I'm almost sure she will work you in somehow :) when I called her the very first time and I asked her how long it took to fix a dress and her reply was.. I can do it over night if I have too!!! love her!
  • Options
    denisecarmonadenisecarmona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh and my wedding is the first week of August :) and my bridesmaids will be going to her for alterations as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have no useful answers I just feel super lucky right now because my dress fit perfectly, no alterations needed at all! GL!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I called Becky and she'll be altering my dress! What a huge sigh of relief!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards