Getting in Shape
Options

My Fitness Pal and Calorie Counting Question

So for all you ladies who use a calorie counter of any kind, I have a question for you. I work out three times a week and burn between 250-300 calories. On the days I work out, My Fitness Pal gives my calories back to me in what I'm allowed to eat (total) for the day. For example, my workout on Monday gave me 310 calories back, so my daily allotment was 1760. Now, here is my question....are you ladies eating your daily amount of calories (so for me, 1460) or do you make sure your NET amount is equal to your daily amounts of calories?

I'm currently not losing any weight and I'm trying to figure out the reason behind it. I lost about 6 pounds in my first month of eating right and exercising, but the scale has been hovering around the same weight for the past 3 weeks or so.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

261 Invited image
174 Want to Party image
56 Are Party Poopers image
31 Can't find the mailbox image

Re: My Fitness Pal and Calorie Counting Question

• Options
    I try to eat them all.  Without eating back my exercise calories, I'd be in a really severe (below 1200) deficit.  And eating below 1200 was my original weight loss problem.

• Options
    I usually eat some of them, but not more that 1500 total on a normal day, a little more if I've gone out to eat or something. I am at 1200cal without exercise and then burn 400-500 6 days a week so I usually have 100-200 left over. It seems to be working pretty well for me- I've lost 10ish lbs since Jan 1 and toned up a lot!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_my-fitness-pal-and-calorie-counting-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:171682f3-039a-4c08-a55e-d709e31acc62Post:8a1a534b-f5fb-49d6-8704-baeb52da1f2f">My Fitness Pal and Calorie Counting Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]So for all you ladies who use a calorie counter of any kind, I have a question for you. I work out three times a week and burn between 250-300 calories. On the days I work out, My Fitness Pal gives my calories back to me in what I'm allowed to eat (total) for the day. For example, my workout on Monday gave me 310 calories back, so my daily allotment was 1760. Now, here is my question....are you ladies eating your daily amount of calories (so for me, 1460) or do you make sure your NET amount is equal to your daily amounts of calories? I'm currently not losing any weight and I'm trying to figure out the reason behind it. I lost about 6 pounds in my first month of eating right and exercising, but the scale has been hovering around the same weight for the past 3 weeks or so.
    Posted by jsarver14[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing.  I try to eat some of my earned calories because my allowance before exercising is 1200.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    I eat them! I try not to go under 1200 calories for the day so I at least eat enough to get me over that amount without going over my goal for the day. Basically, make sure my numbers stay green without going under 1200 calories =)

I was confused by this at first too! btw my name junebug616 on MFP if you want to add me
    Photobucket
  • Options
    kimberlygokimberlygo member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I don't intentionally eat them. I use them as a buffer, so that if I go over for some reason I don't feel guilty. I've found sucess with this method and have lost about 45 lbs on MFP.

I'm kimberlygo if you want to add me. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_my-fitness-pal-and-calorie-counting-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:171682f3-039a-4c08-a55e-d709e31acc62Post:08205fc1-57b9-4721-921b-567be67d0a46">Re: My Fitness Pal and Calorie Counting Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't intentionally eat them. I use them as a buffer, so that if I go over for some reason I don't feel guilty. I've found sucess with this method and have lost about 45 lbs on MFP. I'm kimberlygo if you want to add me. 
    Posted by kimberlygo[/QUOTE]

Your buffer for the day, or buffer for the week?  (Similar to WW's "flex points"?)
  • Options
    You can add me too, juma4474

I usually eat back some of them. MFP has me at 1280cal without exercising, so I try to stay between that and 1500 on the days I workout. That is almost everyday and I usually burn 300calories or so on my work outs. I am in maintenance mode and this seems to work the best for me.

Sometimes it takes a little playing around with your routine and calories to see what really works for you. Try mixing up your workouts if you've been doing the same thing for a long time or possibly you aren't logging the calories correctly.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • Options
    I buffer for the day. I kind of take the attitude that each day is a new day and work from there.  I usually burn around 900 calories a day between running (I'm training for a half marathon) and walking to work, so to bank those all at the end of the week would make me ill.  I think in general, though, if you're always aiming to eat healthy and you go over for a day or two, you will net out just fine.
  • Options
    I eat most of them back, I usually have an extra 400-500 calories 5-6 days a week, and at the end of them day have about 100-150 calories left. I love MFP I have only been on it for 2 weeks and have lost 5lbs!! Half way to my goal already :)

BTW my name is Mel1509 on MFP
    image 220 Are ready to party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I honestly think I go pretty far below my needed daily calories, but I cannot force myself to eat when i'm not hungry. I am average size and eat very healthily though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You're supposed to eat them back.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Yes, you are supposed to eat them back.

You have plateaued. It will pass!

In the mean time, try changing your work out routine. Also, analyze your settings. For example, I am set to sedentary (damn you desk!) and my best friend is set to medium activity level because she has a standing job.

Are you set to lose one pound per week?
  • Options
    I agree with heartthemelody, try changing your workouts. It is good to have a variety, your body can get comfortable if you do the same workouts all the time. If you are running or jogging, run longer or try more hills. If you bike same idea. 
  • Options
    Plateaus are the worst! I finally busted through one that lasted about 3 weeks by changing up what I was eating for 4 days and then going back to my routine. I dropped 3 lbs very quickly after that. I tend to be a repetitive eater - I eat the same meals every day for sometimes weeks at a time - so that's a danger for me. My body gets used to the same foods daily and the same workouts daily and so I have to shake it up.

Though you posed a good question and I'm glad to see the responses that verify I'm doing the right thing. I aim for 1300-1400 a day and wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing in adding additional calories to make up for those I burn while exercising.
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Definitely eat back your calories. I'm maryrr88 on MFP if you want to add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Hi Everyone! I just joined MFP today and so far I love it. It has me at 1200 calories per day as well. I too am a bit confused on the eating what you work out part of this. I thought you were essentially supposed to stay UNDER 1200 in order to lose weight??

Also, is anyone like me and kind of concerned of how many calories certain veggies are, or is that not an issue? Thanks!!!Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards