Getting in Shape
Options

Body Fat % calculator

Alright everyone, recommend your favorite body fat % calculator.

I've done a couple of the online ones and I'm getting drastically different numbers ranging from 25% to 49%...hoping to find one that is at least a LITTLE more reliable.

I have a hard time believing that I'm 49% fat (especially after all the weightlifting and the 45lb loss already). If that is the more accurate number though I guess it would be better to come to terms with it.

So help me out!

Re: Body Fat % calculator

• Options
    Haha, usually it doesn't take much convincing for me to purchase something I want, but now that we're trying to rush into getting a house I sort of have to set aside all extra money for a down payment.

It's of course still on my wish list though ;-)
  • Options
    Hmm, I wonder if my gym has one. Do you guys know when it would be the most accurate to take the test? Before a workout, after a workout, before eating, after eating etc?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Online body fat calculators are notoriously inaccurate, especially for women, and here's why - the vast majority of them take a formula that combines your waist and hip circumference without accounting for the ratio between the measurements. So when I enter my 30" waist and 42" hips, the calculator goes "whoa! You've got 72 inches there - you are obese." Which I am not.

I'd find a gym or university and either have the electronic test done or have someone (who is very skilled) to a caliper test for you.

I don't think it matters when you take the test - the only variable in your body composition during the day/month is the water weight, which falls into the "lean body mass" category. Most calculations will give you both a percentage and pounds of fat, so while the percentage may vary depending on how much water you're retaining (so presumably the more water you're retaining the lower your body fat % will be), the actual pounds of fat will be a better indicator of health and progress.
  • Options
    I think I'll find out at my gym tonight if they have one I could use, if not it'll have to wait and just go on the amazon wish list lol
  • Options
    I have one of those Omron hand zapper things that K posted from amazon. I trust it within +/- 2% based on the reviews I've read. They're pretty cheap compared to things like the aria scale, and they are used widely by professionals. Not as accurate as things like water displacement, fancy expensive tests, etc. but WAY more accurate than online calculators. I find when I'm doing the online things I just end up picking the number I like the best and tricking myself for about 15 seconds until reality sets back in and I realize that no, I am not 23% body fat.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I want one of those hand zapper things!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards